LegalZoom Legal Services Review
Is It Worth It? (Pros, Cons & More)
Last Updated: By TRUiC Team
Looking for online legal services, but not sure where to start? Finding a service that fits the bill can be challenging, especially since there aren’t many options available.
With nearly 4 million customers served and counting, LegalZoom deserves a look. They’re a “household name” in the industry without a doubt.
In this LegalZoom legal services review, we’ll examine some of their pros and cons, pricing, features, customer reviews and more. In a few minutes, you’ll know if LegalZoom is the right way to go, or if you should look into other options. Enjoy!
Some Pros & Cons of LegalZoom
Pros of LegalZoom
- LegalZoom offers a money-back guarantee at any time within 60 days of purchase. Most other online legal services offer trial periods, but few this long.
- Few competitors can match their experience. They’ve helped 3.6 million customers since opening their doors in 2001.
- They provide access to tax professionals and an annual business evaluation by a lawyer, two features most online legal services don’t offer.
- With LegalZoom’s Business Legal plan, you get one copyright registration per month included in your subscription. From books to photographs, you’d be surprised how many creative works are covered.
- Starting at $31.25/mo for business customers, their rates are lower than most competitors offering comprehensive online legal services.
- Their customer service is easy to reach by phone, and US-based agents are available from 8am-10pm ET Monday through Friday, 10am-7pm ET on weekends.
Cons of LegalZoom
- Their customer feedback is hit and miss. On SiteJabber they average a 3.1 rating out of 5. More than half of their reviews are perfect 5-star scores, but there’s plenty of criticism to be found as well.
- As is often the case with large companies, their customer service is a bit inconsistent. Some people have great experiences with their reps, while others feel like they’re getting the run around.
- Reviewing documents longer than 10 pages with an attorney can get expensive. Each one will result in an upcharge of at least $39, although documents that exceed 25 pages will cost you into the hundreds.
Based on everything we’ve run through, I’d give LegalZoom’s legal services a 4.4 out of 5. I think it's worth considering if you need access to legal documents and attorney help - while on a budget.
LegalZoom Pricing & Features
LegalZoom opts for a streamlined and simple approach to packaging, so there’s only one package available for their legal services. That being said, there are discounts available depending on payment plans.
Business Advisory Plan = $36-$31.25/mo
With the LegalZoom Business Advisory Plan, you get a ton of features for your money. In addition to the items listed in the screenshot below, you receive one copyright registration per month, as well as subscriber rates for other services like incorporation and registered agent.
Plus, If you hire any attorney from LegalZoom’s network, you will receive a 25% discount off of their total legal fees. As we mentioned earlier, document reviews exceeding 10 pages can get costly in a hurry.
- 11-15 page documents: $39
- 16-25 page documents: $99
- 26+ page documents: Price varies by attorney
You don’t need us to tell you LegalZoom can get expensive if you need lots of document reviews, so make sure to factor that into your decision.
LegalZoom is a household name, and has the reviews to show for it. The company itself has hundreds of reviews for their Incorporation services. But since they divide their reviews by service, I’ve included their Legal Services reviews so you can get an up close look at what customers are saying about the service itself.
Customer reviews as of 9-11-2017:
- BBB: A+
- Consumer Affairs: 3.2/5, 40 votes
- Sitejabber.com: 3.2/5, 607 reviews
- TrustPilot: 4.1/10, 10 reviews
- LegalZoom (Legal Service Specific): 4.5/5, 457
Aside from the LegalZoom reviews, there are reviews on other sites that raised some pretty legitimate concerns. The complaint that I saw most frequently was that the customer service was either really hard to get a hold of, or evasive when it came to answering direct questions.
Having said that, they do still have a pretty large volume of 5 star reviews, especially about their legal services. The market for this type of product is also pretty small online, so it’s clear that customers are pleased to have this service available.
How LegalZoom Compares
LegalZoom is a great choice to provide you with top online legal services because they offer comprehensive legal assistance, and their experience and longevity are tough to beat. Still, let’s briefly look at Rocket Lawyer for a well-rounded comparison of pricing, features and more.
Pricing: LegalZoom offers one package at $36/mo, while Rocket Lawyer’s packaging starts at $39.95 and offers an additional package for $49.95. I’ll get into which one is a better value in just a bit, but if we’re only talking about price, LegalZoom is a smidge cheaper.
Features: Now Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom work a little bit different. Rocket Lawyer is a templating service and a legal resource in one, while this package from LegalZoom offers the legal resource alone. So, while the Rocket Lawyer packages are a little bit more per month, they offer a two in one service that LegalZoom doesn’t have available.
Customer Service: Looking at what customers are saying, LegalZoom has experienced issues handling customer service needs. They offer email and phone support for customers, along with the support you would receive from their on-call attorneys. Rocket Lawyer on the other hand offers email, phone and livechat support, and when we looked through Rocket Lawyer’s customer reviews noticed that most customers (for the most part) appreciated the service they offered.
Number of Businesses Served: Both of these companies have served millions of users and those numbers continue to grow. But if we’re looking at numbers alone, Rocket Lawyer wins out. LegalZoom has served over 4 million, while Rocket Lawyer serves over 20 million.
Pricing Starts at $31.25/month
4 million+ customers so far
Perfect for: Anyone wanting a simple, customizable legal forms & an option to enlist a qualified attorney
Pricing Starts at $39.95/month
20 million+ customers so far
Perfect for: Anyone wanting a suite of online legal services, legal documents & easy 'Ask a Lawyer' feature
Frequently Asked Questions
Does LegalZoom Have a Free Trial?
No, not technically, but they have a 60-day money back guarantee. At any point within two months of purchase, simply request a refund and they’ll return any fees paid to LegalZoom. Some competitors only offer a one-week trial!
How Accessible Is Their Customer Service?
LegalZoom has longer phone support hours than anyone else in the industry. They’re available every weekday from 8am-10pm ET, and every weekend from 10am-7pm ET. That being said, they have had issues with providing adequate customer service to users in the past. This isn’t a universal experience by any means, but it’s something you should take into consideration before deciding.
Are There Any Extra Features Included?
LegalZoom includes access to tax professionals with their online legal services, as well as one copyright registration per month. Those are features you won’t find with many of their competitors.
Should You Use LegalZoom?
Based on everything we’ve run through, I’d give LegalZoom’s legal services a 4.4 out of 5. I think it's worth considering if you need access to legal documents and attorney help - while on a budget. That being said, if this doesn’t sound like your perfect fit, check out our Best Online Legal Services for Business. Cheers!