Best Press Release Services for Startups
Best Press Release Service Overall
Best for Small Businesses
Cision PR Newswire
One of the most popular public relations (PR) tactics for startups is press releases. These written pieces detail exciting happenings within your startup, from launches to funding rounds.
If you’re choosing to keep your public relations internal rather than outsourcing to a PR firm, using a press release distribution service will help get your releases out to the widest target audience possible. To decide the right distribution partner for your business needs, start by comparing these top press release distribution services for startups.
6 Best Press Release Services for Entrepreneurs 2024
Best Press Release Service: Sitetrail
Sitetrail offers global press release distribution services for startups at a low price. Without sacrificing valuable features such as SEO, social media, and online branding assistance.
1. Sitetrail - 4.9/5
Sitetrail is one of the most exciting press release distribution services available because it pairs highly competitive pricing with exceptional access to global news outlets.
Sitetrail offers a variety of packages that can help businesses of all sizes reach their target markets and gain much-needed exposure. While this review focuses on the company’s press release writing and distribution service, Sitetrail also offers a wide variety of SEO, online branding, and social media verification services.
- Press Release and Editorial News ($399) — Sitetrail journalists will write and publish two well-crafted 700-word articles (one press release, one editorial news)
- Unlimited Press Releases ($199/month) — Brands writing their own content can get unlimited access to several Google News-approved sites with Sitetrail.
- Weekly writing & distribution ($899/month) — Sitetrail will write and release your news weekly through Google News to ensure constant coverage during the month.
- Premium Brand Awareness ($4,950) — Full editorial writing across the most popular US and global news brands. High trust factor and brand awareness with a reach exceeding 120 million viewers.
- Accelerated monthly SEO, PR & Google News plan ($6,000/month) - Constantly appear in the news and earn 14 X high domain authority links per month. Attract guaranteed organic links from some of the most authoritative sources. PR with high contextual relevance to ensure scaled brand awareness and SEO for maximum growth.
- Sitetrail delivers the best value for your dollar. It costs less than 80% of PR agencies, and although it costs more than “newswire” services, its content has a trusted, authentic feel to it.
- It’s staffed by journalists with numerous connections throughout the United States and the United Kingdom.
- Sitetrail customers include Silicon Valley companies, government agencies, public relations (PR) agencies, and small, mid-sized, and large businesses.
- Although it has small starter packages, it offers high-end options for sustained scaled PR and SEO which is favored by venture capitalists.
- Press releases are limited to 700 words, which is lower than some competitors.
- Helpful add-ons such as influencer outreach and other marketing services cost extra.
If you want more trusted results in the media with an “earned” feel to it, then Sitetrail press release distribution & writing is ideal. It’s our preferred option because it’s simple to use, highly influential, and costs less than most PR agencies in the US.
If you’re not too excited about writing your own press releases, Sitetrail can take care of the writing as well. The company offers professional press release writing along with its distribution services. That means you can take full advantage of the marketing benefits of press releases without needing to learn how to write them.
2. EIN Presswire - 4/5
EIN Presswire stands for “Everyone’s Internet News Presswire™," which instantly conveys the company’s focus. It wants to be the go-to source for everyone to distribute press releases — from individuals and small businesses to major corporations. Its pricing follows suit with packages that range from the cheapest on this list to almost a thousand dollars.
You can depend on EIN Presswire to make the process of uploading and distributing your press releases as smooth as possible. The company provides a streamlined process that’s accessible for any budget. Of course, you get a lot more when you pay more. To effectively promote your small business, it’s worth considering at least the second-tier package to gain social media posting and other services.
- Basic – $99.95
- Pro+ – $399
- Corporate – $999
- EIN Presswire is the cheapest press release distribution option on our list. If you want to try issuing a press release for your small business, this provides an easy way to do so.
- Even the least-expensive package includes distribution to EIN Presswire's World Media Directory, which reaches TV stations and newspapers across the globe.
- Placement on Associated Press (AP) News as well as new aggregators such as Google News, Bloomberg Terminals, MuckRack, and more.
- Same-day distribution is included with all packages.
- There's no option to have a professional write your press release. EIN Presswire only distributes press releases — it doesn't write them.
- Only two country targets and five industry targets is limiting compared to competitors.
EIN Presswire is a solid press release distribution service you can depend on to simplify the process of submitting and distributing your press releases. You also can pay less than $50 to try it out.
3. eReleases - 4/5
With a reputation as a popular and reliable press release distribution service, eReleases focuses on serving small businesses. The company offers comprehensive distribution services and ensures you get everything you need to improve your SEO through potential press coverage.
While eReleases charges a bit more than Sitetrail, you still get writing services for its base price. That means you don’t need to worry about writing your own press releases if doing so doesn’t interest you.
Importantly, eReleases promises you’ll get “Real editors. No salespeople.” Editors are less likely to try upselling you so, if eReleases delivers on this promise, it’ll mean a more pleasant experience interacting with the company.
- Buzz Builder – $399
- Newsmaker – $499
- PR Pro – $699
- While eReleases costs more than some other services, it does have a strong reputation among small businesses.
- Even the base-level package includes writing services so you don’t have to write your press releases if you don’t want to do so.
- The company promises you’ll interact with editors, not salespeople. If true, this should provide a better experience when you speak with eReleases.
- Press release writing services cost an extra $300 in addition to package costs.
- Video and image embeds cost $150-$200 extra.
We may not love eReleases quite as much as Sitetrail, but we’re still impressed with the quality of its services. Its cost appears higher than necessary, but eReleases does deliver all the basic press release distribution assistance you need for SEO purposes.
4. Cision PRWeb - 4/5
Many press release distribution services do a good job of sending your press release to multiple outlets, and Cision PRWeb is no exception. Established more than 20 years ago, the company has a long list of positive testimonials from various businesses.
With PRWeb’s lowest package, your press releases are automatically hosted on their website. However, higher-end packages distribute press releases to over 1,200 networks and SEO optimizations on the content to increase Google traffic.
- Basic – $105 per release
- Standard – $220 per release
- Advanced – $325 per release
- Premium – $435 per release
- Reasonably priced packages give you access to Cision PRWeb’s long list of distribution channels.
- Automatic SEO optimization to increase traffic from search engines like Google and Bing.
- Users can select add-ons to include social media and email targeted as well as priority release.
- Videos, images, hyperlinks, and call-out quotes can be added to any press release submitted for distribution on PRWeb.
- For $99, your press release will only appear on PRWeb.com. With some other press release distribution services (e.g., Sitetrail), you get true distribution to a US-hosted news site for the same price.
- If you use Cision PRWeb, you’ll need to write your own press release, spell-check it, and save it using your favorite word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Word). Cision PRWeb’s interface won’t let you automatically spell-check or save your work.
Cision PRWeb can certainly help you distribute your press release — and it’ll do a good job as long as you pay for its second-tier package or higher. But, look elsewhere if you want a basic package with distribution to anywhere beyond PRWeb.com.
5. Newswire - 3/5
Among the press release distribution companies on this list, Newswire has one of the more impressive websites. It’s modern, easy to use, and clearly explains what the company offers. But, Newswire prices its packages on the higher-end. You must pay almost $200 just to get your foot in the door.
Its basic package does include some nice perks, though. For example, it includes up to six hyperlinks and a featured image — offerings you don’t see in many of the basic packages offered by other companies for less money. Cision PRWeb, for instance, only gives you hyperlinks and an image if you buy a package that costs $289.
- Newswire Digital – $349
- Newswire Digital Plus – $599
- Newswire State – $699
- Newswire National – $899
- Newswire’s website is easy to use and has a more modern design than the sites of most other companies on this list.
- That basic package does include hyperlinks and an image similar to the more expensive packages from other providers, making it a decent deal if you want to spend that much.
- All packages include distribution to Associated Press (AP) News and Google News.
- Newswire is another company focused purely on distribution, meaning it doesn’t offer press release writing services.
- Newswire doesn’t offer any affordable, entry-level options. If you want to use this service, you’ll have to pay at least $199 for a basic package.
Newswire makes a respectable choice for a press release distribution service and media monitoring solution, but it does charge more than many others. Yet, you’ll get a lot for your money if you’re willing to pay more.
6. Cision PR Newswire - 3/5
Cision owns both PR Newswire and PRWeb. PRWeb, the newer of the two services, has a more limited reach and presence than PR Newswire. PRWeb also has less expensive pricing, but there’s a reason why that’s the case.
Cision PR Newswire guarantees placement in major news outlets like ABC and NBC. That guarantee will cost you, though. While the company doesn’t list its prices online, it’s generally understood that it charges much more than PRWeb. Cision PR Newswire also offers a variety of other marketing-related services along with press release distribution.
If you’re just getting started with press releases for your small business, PR Newswire is probably overkill. But, it can make a good choice if you want to pay a premium price for the kind of premium services bigger companies use.
Check out Cision PR Newswire’s pricing guide.
- Offers a wide range of marketing services, including multimedia content distribution, microsites, multicultural distribution, and more.
- Intuitive user interface makes using PR Newswire’s platform simple and accessible.
- Reporting and analytics allow users to track the success of their press releases and optimize future releases.
- It’s not ideal for small businesses on a budget.
- Complicated pricing structure is a barrier to entry not shared by competitors.
Cision PR Newswire can provide a lot of marketing-related services for businesses with appropriate budgets. But, it’s likely overkill for small businesses.
While this list features many great PR services for startups, if you aren’t sure whether they are the right fit for your startup, we are here to help. These are honorable mentions that didn’t quite make it to the top of our list but may be the perfect fit for your startup’s PR needs.
Meltwater is an AI-powered PR service that specializes in media intelligence, media relationships, influencer marketing, and more – all packed with valuable reporting features. Used by major brands such as Asana, Western Union, and Shiseido, Meltwater offers a versatile suite of smart solutions for all your startup’s PR and marketing needs.
24-7 Press Release
Offering a mixture of press release services for both traditional and digital outlets, 24-7 Press Release is a PR service that offers various tiers of media visibility tools from $49-$419. Customers can choose a package to determine the level of visibility they would like to see from their PR efforts, ranging from internet posting to distribution to over 2,500 media points.
IssueWire is a press release distribution service that publishes your startup’s press releases to over 150 media outlets. While the service lacks in other media relations services, they do offer satisfaction-guaranteed targeted distribution for your press releases to major websites.
PR Fire helps businesses target national, international, state, and local media outlets with a pay-as-you-go model. Most notably, the service offers same-day distribution, which means your press release can be written, optimized, and distributed within the same set of business hours.
Prowly, a PR service by Semrush, helps businesses write and distribute press releases, find targeted media contacts, and track results all on one platform. Used by big brands such as Vimeo, LG, and Hard Rock, Prowly is a trusted name in targeted press release distribution and media outreach.
PR Distribution helps businesses scale their PR efforts with distribution to major outlets such as Bloomberg, Forbes, and MarketWatch. Notably, PR distribution offers unlimited word count with a 300-word minimum on press releases distributed through the service.
Pros and Cons of Press Release Distribution Services
- They help you distribute your press releases to numerous channels, including major news organizations.
- Some offer writing services so you can get them to create — as well as distribute — your press releases.
- Most offer packages priced for everyone from small businesses to major corporations.
- These distribution services increase the chances a reporter will write about your business, which could lead to greater awareness of your brand within your target market(s).
- Their distribution services can help support your SEO efforts.
- Many companies won’t help you write your press releases, leaving you to figure out how to write them yourself or hire someone else to do so.
- While some of the basic distribution packages have affordable pricing, they may not accomplish much because they lack broad distribution.
- You may pay for distribution and see very little return on your investment (ROI) because getting your release in front of reporters doesn't guarantee they'll write about your business.
- It’s possible to spend way more than you should — based on an overall ROI — if you aren’t careful.
- It can prove challenging to gauge just how much one company’s distribution abilities differ from another.
How to Choose the Right Press Release Service
Every press release distribution service has its own unique advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, choosing the right distribution service for your startup’s press releases comes down to understanding the pricing, location, features, and industry targeting you need to make your PR efforts successful.
The first thing a good press release distributor should do is fit within your budget while still achieving your goals. Look for a cost-effective distributor that meets your startup’s monetary needs without sacrificing the efficacy of the release.
Whether you’re looking to distribute your press release on a local, national, or global level, your distribution service should reach the markets that you are targeting. Targeted location is crucial to ensuring your release is reaching the intended audience.
Not every feature is important for a startup to have in a press release distribution service. Determine the features you need, such as writing services or embedded video or images so that you can find a distribution partner that either includes these features in their packages or has them available as add-on services.
While location distribution is hugely important to the success of a press release, the types of publications and websites your press release is distributed to matters as well. Your distribution partner should have access to publication in media outlets relevant to your industry to achieve the greatest success from your press release.
What Is the Best Press Release Distribution Service?
Based on our research, Sitetrail offers the best press release distribution service for most small businesses. While other services may suit big companies or businesses with specialized needs, Sitetrail generally hits all the right marks. It’s affordable, effective, and easy to use.
Sitetrail will not only distribute your press release but will also write it for you. Many press release companies focus solely on distribution, so Sitetrail’s writing service makes the company stand out.
For just $199/month, you can try Sitetrail and see how press releases can help you market your business.
What is a press release?
A press release is an announcement issued by a business that the business considers newsworthy. This may include announcements about new products, new services, or a change in ownership, among other news.
What is the purpose of a press release?
Press releases aim to gain the attention of reporters and inspire them to write about the business. Ideally, a press release — and any articles stemming from it — will attract the attention of your target market and improve your SEO rankings.
Are press releases worth it?
Press releases remain important for marketing purposes because they can help you get noticed. Reporters do search through press releases for stories and, if they write about your business and link back to your website, that can boost your SEO rankings.
What is a press release distribution service?
PR distribution services send press releases to various news channels and other publishing organizations for a fee.
How much does press release distribution cost?
It can cost anywhere from $49 to $3,000 or more.
What is a media advisory?
A media advisory, often shorter than a press release, is a document sent to reporters and media outlets to invite them to attend and cover a specific event.
Unlike a press release, which provides a detailed narrative, a media advisory is essentially an invitation that includes the who, what, where, when, and why of an event. It's designed to be a concise, easy-to-read overview that gives journalists the essential information they need to decide whether to cover the story.
Can I create my own press release or media advisory?
Yes, you can create your own press release or media advisory. You can find a free media advisory template online to use as a starting point. These templates often provide a basic structure and format, which you can customize to suit your specific needs and information.