Best Venture Capital Firms in New Hampshire
1. Conservation Resources
- Location: Exeter, NH
- Industries: Forestry, Agriculture
- Stage: Stage Agnostic
- Notable Portfolio Companies: Undisclosed
Conservation Resources has two funds. Conservation Forestry invests in companies that are preserving forest land. Conservation Farming invests in companies that preserve land for growing crops and/or raising animals. Companies must have strong financials, but growth isn't as important. Preserving land and natural resources is prioritized.
2. River Birch Partners
- Location: Portsmouth, NH
- Industries: Consumer Goods, Industrials, Manufacturing, Logistics, Aerospace, Chemicals, Mining, Packaging, Rubber & Plastics
- Stage: Late Stage, Growth, Mature
- Notable Portfolio Companies: Universal Window and Door, Midasco, Vertex Distribution, All Safe Global
River Birch Partners invests in established companies that still have promising futures. Companies should have recurring revenue over $10 million, EBITDA of $1-8 million, gross margins over 30%, and proprietary capabilities. The firm wants a return on equity of at least 30% and has a long time horizon. River Birch primarily invests in companies throughout the Eastern US companies in the Northern Rockies may also be considered, though.
3. Rines Angel Fund
- Location: Durham, NH
- Industries: Industry Agnostic
- Stage: Seed, Early Stage, Pre-Revenue
- Notable Portfolio Companies: Semester at a Glance, Unruly Studios, Meenta, DataNomix
Rines Angel Fund provides small seed capital to New England companies. The fund has a network of other investors throughout New England should companies need more than the fund's limit of $15,000. The fund usually doesn't take an active management role. It targets companies that need early money and often provides first outside money.
4. Tuckerman Capital
- Location: Hanover, NH
- Industries: Manufacturing, Industrial Services
- Investment Range: Undisclosed
- Notable Portfolio Companies: Apache Industrial Services, Dauntless Air, Galvanic Applied Sciences, Anser Advisory
Tuckerman Capital matches startups with independent teams or sole sponsors. Although the funds come from Tuckerman, there is another specific entity behind the deal. The investments that the firm makes thus vary. Nonetheless, companies must meet strict investment criteria. They should have EBITDA over 30% of capital, EBITDA over 15% of sales, gross margins over 30%, and no more than 30% of sales tied up in fixed assets. A multi-year history of profitability is also required.
5. ECoast Angel Network
- Location: Portsmouth, NH
- Industries: Life Sciences, Software, Clean Technologies, Financial Technologies, Ecommerce
- Stage: Pre-Seed, Seed, Series A
- Notable Portfolio Companies: Flexx Botics, Statsocial, StageConnect, Unruly Splats
ECoast Angel Network is one of the most active angel networks in the U.S. Its members seek to be first-money in young companies, and the firm expects to collaborate with management. Companies should have pre-money valuations below $10 million, and plants achieve revenues of over $25 million within five years. The typical investment range is $250,000–$2 million, but $3 million is possible in select situations. The network only considers companies in the Northeast.