Starting an LLC in Hawaii is Easy
You can get a Hawaii LLC online by registering the Articles of Organization with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. The cost of Hawaii LLC Registration is $50.
Follow our How to Start an LLC in Hawaii guide below to get started.
For more information on how to form an LLC in any state, visit our How to Start an LLC guide.
Step 1: Create A Name For Your Hawaii LLC
Before you register your LLC, you'll need to come up with a name. Your business name needs to be catchy for branding purposes and legitimate for legal purposes.
We go into depth on this topic in our LLC naming guide. We’ll go over the basics below.
Naming Your LLC
First, brainstorm some possibilities. Use our LLC name generator to get the ideas flowing.
Next, make sure your name meets Hawaii guidelines:
- it contains the words limited liability company, limited company, LLC, or L.L.C.
- it doesn't contain restricted words or phrases (these often include words like bank, attorney, and university) without approval
- it's distinguishable from any other entity or trade name registered in Hawaii
- full list of Hawaii naming guidelines
Next, do a Hawaii LLC name search with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs to find out if your name is available in Hawaii.
If your business name is available and meets guidelines, you’ll be able to register it when you file your Articles of Organization with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
Is the URL available? Before you commit 100% to a name, check to see if there’s a good web domain available.
We recommend buying your domain right away because even if launching a business website isn’t on your radar right now, it will be soon.
Find a Domain Now
Powered by GoDaddy.com
Once you register a domain name for your LLC, consider setting up a business phone system to establish credibility and enhance your customer service. Nextiva provides a plethora of useful features and a quick, easy setup. Try Nextiva.
Using a Hawaii Trade Name (DBA)
A Hawaii DBA (doing business as), also known as a trade name, is any registered name that a business operates under that isn't its legal business name. A trade name can be used by any type of business, including a sole proprietorship, partnership, or limited liability company (LLC).
Learn how to get a DBA in our Hawaii DBA guide.
Step 2: Appoint A Hawaii Registered Agent
When you file your Articles of Organization, you'll need to list a registered agent.
Your registered agent can be a person or a registered agent service. You can act as your own registered agent, but many business owners choose to use a registered agent service.
Here are a few things to think about before you decide to act as your own registered agent:
- You’ll need to be available during normal (9 am - 5 pm) business hours at the address you provide
- If you run your business from home, you’ll have to make your personal address public
- You could be served with a lawsuit in front of your family or coworkers
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent offers a free year of registered agent service when you form your LLC ($39 plus state fees).
Step 3: File the Articles Of Organization
It’s time to officially form your LLC by filing your Articles of Organization with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
You can file online with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs or fill out a hard copy of Hawaii Form LLC-1 and send by email, mail, fax, or in-person. The filing fee is $50.
Recommended: Now is a good time to decide if your LLC will be member-managed vs manager-managed.
You'll need to know the following information to complete the form:
- Entity Name
- Registered Agent Name and Registered Office Address
- Names of Organizers and Governing Authority Type (LLC Management Structure)
- Member Liability
- Business Duration
For more detailed help with completing the form, visit our Hawaii Articles of Organization guide.
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Business Registration Division
335 Merchant St.
P.O. Box 40
Honolulu, HI 96810
335 Merchant St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
FAX: (808) 586-2733
How long does it take to get an LLC approved? LLC processing time is typically about two weeks, but can be expedited for an additional fee.
Step 4: Create A Hawaii LLC Operating Agreement
Creating a Hawaii LLC operating agreement is the only way to legally lock down your LLC’s management and ownership structure. Having this document in place will give you something to return to if a dispute or lawsuit arises.
Even single-member LLCs benefit from having an operating agreement.
Your operating agreement should outline the following:
- Each member’s responsibilities
- How new members will be admitted
- How existing members may transfer or terminate their membership
- How profits and dividends will be distributed
You can add as many provisions as you want, as long as they don't conflict with Hawaii law. Take a look at our What is an Operating Agreement guide to learn more.
Download a template or create a custom Free Operating Agreement using our tool.
Step 5: Get an EIN
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is like a Social Security number (SSN) for your company. The IRS and the state of Hawaii will use this number to track your business activity.
Your EIN will come in handy when it’s time to:
- Open a business bank account
- File Federal and State taxes
- Hire employees
The best way to get an EIN for your LLC in Hawaii is by using the free online application on the IRS website.
Read our Get an EIN guide for instructions.
Need Help Forming an LLC?
We’ve reviewed and ranked the Top 7 LLC formation services.
Steps After Forming an LLC
After forming your LLC, it's important to:
- Open a business bank account. A business bank account helps separate personal expenses and company expenses, which is required to maintain your LLC's corporate veil. A corporate veil protects your personal assets from creditors in potential lawsuits against your LLC or Business.
Learn more by reading this guide to Banking for Entrepreneurs. For a multi-member LLC, you'll also want to set up capital accounts for members. We also recommend checking out our review of the best business bank accounts.
- Get a business credit card. A business credit card will help separate personal and business expenses while building your company’s credit history. A strong credit history will be useful for raising capital in the form of small business loans.
- Hire a business accountant. A business accountant will help you save on taxes and avoid penalties and fines. An accountant makes bookkeeping and payroll easier. Find out how much you could be saving with a consultation with a business accountant.
- Get business insurance. Business insurance helps manage risk. The most common forms of business insurance are general liability, professional liability, and workers’ compensation.
Keep Your Company Compliant
- Research Hawaii business licenses and permits. For help, visit our How to Get a Business License in Hawaii guide. There are also business license services that will help with this.
- File your annual report. File online with the State of Hawaii by the end of the calendar quarter in which the LLC was formed.
- Understand Hawaii state tax requirements. Visit our Hawaii Sales Tax guide to learn more about seller’s permits and Hawaii sales tax.
- Understand federal tax requirements. Most LLCs will need to report their income to the IRS each year using Form 1065 Partnership Return (multi-member LLCs) or Form 1040 Schedule C (single-member LLCs).
- How you pay yourself will affect your federal taxes. Visit our guide to learn more about how to pay yourself from your LLC.
More LLC Resources
- Hawaii Foreign LLCs: Forming a foreign LLC allows your company to operate as one entity in multiple states. Download the Hawaii foreign LLC form to get started.
- Hawaii Certificate of Good Standing: A certificate of good standing verifies that your LLC was legally formed. To order, follow our Hawaii certificate of good standing guide.
- Dissolving a Hawaii LLC: If you are ready to dissolve your LLC, follow the steps in our Hawaii LLC Dissolution Guide.
- LLC Legal Forms. TRUiC offers a number of free LLC legal forms including operating agreements, LLC resolutions, and hiring documents.
Need Help Forming an LLC?
Read our Best LLC Services review to learn more about pricing and packages.