Top Registered Agent Services Compared
BEST OVERALL VALUE
BEST FOR ONGOING LEGAL SUPPORT
In this review, we’ll compare the features of the top online business services of 2023 to see which is the best registered agent service when forming an LLC:
- Northwest Registered Agent (Recommended)
- Rocket Lawyer
- Harbor Compliance
Get to know each of the best choices for startup registered agents below. By the end of our comparison, you’ll be able to choose which registered agent service is right for you and your company.
1. Northwest Registered Agent
Being in business since 1998, there are two major reasons we chose Northwest as the best registered agent service overall.
- They have made a name for themselves by being the most friendly LLC service available. Out of all the registered agent services we have reviewed and contacted, they’re by far the best in regard to phone/email support.
- They locally scan every document you receive. Most registered agent services only scan certain documents like legal summons. Northwest Registered Agent scans all your paperwork, ensuring you never miss a document and eliminating surprises.
Here's quick look at more of their features:
- Same price every year
- Free mail forwarding
- Lifetime support from local business guides
- Data privacy protection
Northwest Registered Agent Services
If you value expert customer support and industry experience, Northwest right service for you. Hire Northwest as your company's registered agent service ($125/year).
Haven't started your business yet? If you form an LLC with Northwest ($29 plus state fees), you'll receive a free year of registered agent service.
Despite being more on the expensive side at $249/year, LegalZoom remains popular and competitive due to its extensive platform, experience, and capabilities beyond basic registered agent services. They have successfully served millions of customers and are well-versed in various legal services. Here are some key highlights:
- User-friendly interface and intuitive platform for easy navigation
- Access to a network of attorneys for personalized legal advice
- Over 4 million customers for 20+ years
If you already have other services through LegalZoom, it may be more convenient for you to have them serve as your registered agent as well. Some notable features include emails about important tax and annual report deadlines via a Compliance Calendar, unlimited cloud storage for your company documents, and more.
LegalZoom Registered Agent Services
In addition to registered agent services, LegalZoom offers a wide range of legal support. Hire LegalZoom as your company's registered agent service.
ZenBusiness is another great registered agent service. ZenBusiness is a small business formation service dedicated to helping others launch their businesses. The company was founded in 2015 by a team of entrepreneurs who experienced the barriers that others continue to face today when starting a business.
ZenBusiness registered agent services will do the following:
- Help you stay compliant with government laws
- Accept service of process and other tax and legal documents
- Provide you with peace of mind so you can focus on running your business
There are a couple of pricing options tailored to meet your unique needs:
- If you have not formed a company yet, registered agent services will cost you $199/year.
- If you have already formed your company and just need registered agent service, it will cost $99 for the first year and $199/year after.
ZenBusiness also offers a Worry-Free Compliance service for $199 annually. It includes annual report and state filing services, compliance tracking, and deadline alerts to help businesses maintain good standing with the state.
ZenBusiness Registered Agent Services
If you’re looking for reliable registered agent services, ZenBusiness is the right choice for you! Hire ZenBusiness as your company's registered agent service.
Another company on our list is Incfile due to their lower prices, but still high-quality registered agent services.
Why you should consider Incfile:
Yes, you can get their registered agent services individually for $119/year. Or, you can get free registered agent services for one year with any incorporation filing purchase. So if you haven’t formed your LLC or Corporation yet, they’re also a great option. (See Details)
- Learning Center Packed with Free Information
- User-Friendly Website Protected by Norton Web Security
- 150,000+ Customers Served since 2004
Incfile Registered Agent Services
Incfile is another affordable choice for registered agent services. Hire Incfile as your company's registered agent service ($119/year).
5. Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer’s registered agent services cost a bit more, but they provide a full year for free if you subscribe to their Accelerate legal services plan for $49.95/month (learn more). Plus:
- Helped Form Over 800,000 Businesses
- The company is backed by Google Ventures
- Norton Web Security Protection & Information Website
- Legal Services Plan Includes Consultations with Business Attorneys
Even without the free year, Rocket Lawyer is still a good option to serve as your registered agent thanks to their 100% satisfaction guarantee and partnerships with experienced legal professionals. We work with them ourselves and haven’t run into a single hiccup yet.
Looking for affordable registered agent, incorporation, and legal services? We collaborated with Rocket Lawyer to provide our users with a discounted price of $349.99 + State Fees (Regularly $649.97 + State Fees)! Learn all about the New Business Bundle, which includes a year of registered agent services.
6. Harbor Compliance
When you choose to use Harbor Compliance's registered agent services ($99/year), you get their solid customer support and very beautiful dashboard. Other highlights include:
- Same-day document scanning and delivery.
- Free Compliance Guides & Whitepapers
- 10,000+ Customers Served since 2012
- Website protected by Norton and Trustwave
Last but not least on our list is online registered agent service InCorp. One year of service costs $129, but if you order five years, you save over $200, paying $87 per year.
- As an industry leader since 1998, they have served 250,000+ customers
- InCorp.com has a User-Friendly & McAfee Secure Website
- Offer Many Other Business Formation/Compliance Services
In addition, InCorp will absorb any transfer fees and if you do manage to find lower prices, they’ll match them. InCorp is a tried and tested choice to provide your registered agent services.
Online Registered Agent Services Pros and Cons
- It’s common for independent professionals to charge a bit more than the prices you can get with companies who have a presence in all 50 states. These national providers are far less expensive in most cases.
- You’ll never have important documents delivered in front of clients, employees or customers if you choose to go with professional registered agent services. After all, you don’t want to get a court summons in front of a potential partner or investor.
- There’s peace of mind in knowing you’ll never miss crucial paperwork due to bad weather, someone stealing mail, or because you’re on vacation. These registered agent services have the technology to ensure you don’t miss a beat.
- Because the registered agent’s address or office isn’t going to change, you can freely move your business around wherever you want. This makes them an especially great option for a web-based startup for obvious reasons.
- The penalties for not having a registered agent heavily outweigh the price tag. If you don’t have one, you can lose your business license, pay hefty fines, and potentially even face criminal charges.
- There aren’t many downsides to working with an online registered agent provider, unless you’re setting up shop in one of the few states where you can be your own registered agent. This could save you some money.
What is a registered agent?
A registered agent is an individual or a professional service designated to receive important legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of a business entity, such as a limited liability company (LLC) or a corporation. Registered agents serve as a point of contact between the business and the state government.
Why do I need a registered agent?
Having a registered agent is a legal requirement for most businesses. The primary reason for this requirement is to ensure that there is a reliable and consistent way for the state government to communicate with the company. It is crucial for businesses to have a registered agent to ensure they do not miss any critical deadlines or legal obligations.
How much does a registered agent cost?
The cost of a registered agent can vary depending on several factors, including the service provider, the level of service offered, and the state in which your business is registered. On average, registered agent services can range from $50 to $300 per year.
It is essential to carefully evaluate the features, reputation, and pricing of different registered agent service providers to make an informed decision that suits your business needs and budget.
Can I act as my own registered agent?
Yes, in most cases, you can act as your own registered agent for your LLC. However, it's important to consider the responsibilities and potential drawbacks. As a self-employed registered agent, you need to maintain normal business hours at a physical address within the state of registration, be available during those hours to receive legal documents and correspondence, and ensure that you don't miss any critical deadlines.
Additionally, being your own registered agent may mean that your personal address becomes a matter of public record, potentially compromising your privacy. Many business owners choose to use a professional registered agent service to avoid these challenges and maintain their privacy.
Can I change my registered agent?
Yes, you can change your registered agent at any time. The process may vary depending on your state's regulations, but typically involves filing a change of agent form with the appropriate state agency and notifying your current registered agent.
How do I choose the best registered agent service for my business?
To choose the best registered agent service, consider factors such as reputation, experience, pricing, customer reviews, online platform usability, other services offered, and customer support. Compare multiple providers to find the one that aligns with your business needs and budget.
At TRUiC, we understand the importance of providing business owners with trusted information to help them make informed decisions. Our review methodology for evaluating and recommending the best registered agent services is designed to ensure thorough research, objective analysis, and unbiased recommendations.
Below are the key factors we take into account:
Reputation and Trustworthiness
We prioritize registered agent services with a solid reputation and a track record of trustworthiness. We thoroughly research the company's background, including its history, customer reviews, and ratings from reputable sources. We look for providers with a proven commitment to serving small businesses and maintaining a high level of professionalism.
We carefully review the variety and quality of the services offered. This includes fundamental services like compliance tracking and notification, document receiving and forwarding, but we also consider additional services such as business formation services, online document access, or virtual mailboxes.
We understand that small business owners often have budget constraints. Therefore, we assess the pricing models and plans offered by registered agent services. We consider the affordability of their packages, any hidden costs or fees, and the overall value for money provided. Our aim is to recommend services that offer competitive pricing without compromising on the quality of service.
Reliable and responsive customer support is key for any service-based business. We examine the support options (phone, email, live chat), hours of availability, response time, and the quality of help provided. We consider customer reviews and ratings for this aspect as well, to ensure that the provider delivers on its promises.
Ease of Use and User Experience
We believe the user experience should be as simple and efficient as possible. We assess the provider's website for ease of navigation, access to support resources, and the overall clarity of information presented. We also look at the process of signing up and managing services online, plus any mobile app availability and usability.
Security and Data Protection
We evaluate the security measures and data protection protocols implemented by registered agent services. We consider factors such as encryption technologies, secure document handling processes, compliance with relevant privacy regulations, and the company's commitment to safeguarding customer data.
Best Registered Agent Services By State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia