Top ATS Software
Best ATS for Startups Overall
Best for Small Businesses
An applicant tracking system (ATS) is a software application that enables the electronic handling of recruitment and hiring needs. A few use cases of ATS software include creating and posting job requisitions online, receiving and organizing resumes, cover letters, and applications, and storing applicant information and documents in a searchable database.
The main benefits of using an ATS are saving time, staying organized, standardizing hiring practices, reducing human bias, and making data-driven recruitment decisions. Overall, ATS systems make the hiring process more efficient for large organizations and small businesses alike.
Top Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) of 2024:
- Zoho Recruit - - Best ATS Overall
- BreezyHR – Best for Small Businesses
- Workable – Best for Access to a Large Candidate Pool
- JazzHR – Best for Medium-Sized Businesses
- Greenhouse – Best for Fast-Scaling Startups
- BambooHR – Best for All-in-One HR Solution
- Ashby – Best for Fast Startup Hiring
- GoHire – Best for International Hiring
- Lever – Best for Large Enterprises
- Recruitee – Best for AI-Powered Features
1. Zoho Recruit
Zoho Recruit is an ATS and CRM software combined. Built for both corporate staffing and agencies, Zoho offers several tiers of packages to meet different hiring needs and volumes. One of their most notable features is AI candidate matching, available in their Enterprise package, which uses AI to make identifying the perfect candidates quick and easy.
Since this is an application system (ATS) and candidate relationship management (CRM), Zoho’s platform doesn’t just help with the candidate search. The CRM helps to build relationships with candidates to create a better hiring experience for everyone involved.
- One-click posting to over 75 different job boards
- AI candidate matching
- Candidate information consolidated into one database
- Mobile-friendly hiring portal
- Group and filter candidates based on a variety of metrics
- Free trial available
- Over 50 integrations available
- Easy-to-use interface
- Features from recruiting to onboarding
- No time tracking or time off features
- Some valuable features only available in its highest-cost package
Zoho Recruit offers a few different packages:
Free ($0) – Allows for one active job and gives you the basic features for freelance job recruiting or recruitment agency startups. Features include email and candidate management and interview scheduling.
Standard ($25 per month/per user) – Allows for 10 active jobs, ideal for staffing core agencies and expanding businesses. Includes all the features of the free plan as well as candidate sourcing, resume management, and talent pipeline management.
Enterprise ($50 per month/per user) – Allows for 20 active jobs and includes a AI candidate matching for faster recruiting and hiring as well as candidate and staffing portals.
2. Breezy HR
Breezy HR’s ATS platform facilitates the whole hiring process from posting available positions to making offers. With Breezy, you can easily publish a job posting on over 50 job boards with only one click.
The aim of the platform is to automate the hiring process to save you time. Their interface is super user-friendly, with drag-and-drop pipelines for candidate management and offer templates with built-in esignatures. Overall, this is a platform built to save you time and effort during the hiring process so you can focus on choosing the right candidate.
- Drag and drop pipelines for an easy overview of all candidates
- Custom questionnaires make pre-screening candidates seamless
- Incognito Apply removes gender, age, and ethnicity from candidate profiles automatically
- Background check integrations
- Analytics and reporting metrics available for the entire process
- Free forever package available
- Easy-to-use interface
- Robust features span the entire hiring process
- Two months free when you opt to pay annually
- Plans are higher cost than some competitors
- Fewer job boards available
Breezy HR offers a few different pricing options that vary based on volume and features. To start, they have a free Forever version that is ideal for bootstrapped startups hiring for only one position. Next, they have a Startup plan at $157 per month billed annually that offers more tools than the free version.
Their Growth plan starts at $273 per month, billed annually, and offers some valuable features for the post-candidate search process. Their Business plan at $439 per month, billed annually, gives users full access to all of Breezy’s features and offerings.
Workable is a truly holistic ATS software providing helpful tools for sourcing, evaluating, hiring, onboarding, and managing employees. With a robust suite of features, Workable provides a highly functional approach to finding and hiring top talent for your startup.
One of their most noteworthy features is the extensive list of job boards (over 200) as well as candidates (over 400 million), providing an impressively large candidate pool. Plus, with Workable’s AI-powered features, you can easily pre-screen and sift through candidates to focus only on the ones that fit the role you’re hiring for.
- AI-powered candidate recommendations
- Over 70 third-party integrations
- Instant posting to over 200 job boards
- Schedule and conduct interviews easily on the platform
- Onboarding portal with e-signatures
- Free trial available
- Integrates with LinkedIn RSC to keep all information in one place – no site-switching
- Robust features span the entire candidate search, hire, and onboarding process
- AI sourcing capabilities included in all packages
- No free plan available
- Some valuable features only available as add-ons for lower-tier packages
Workable doesn’t offer a free plan, but they do offer three different plans to choose from, with prices changing depending on your team size. Their Starter package is $149 per month, billed annually, and allows for up to 50 employees.
The Standard package starts at $299 per month, billed annually for 1-20 employees, the price goes up as your team size increases. The Premier plan starts at $599 per month billed annually and, like the standard package, starts with 1-20 employees, with prices increasing as team size grows.
JazzHR is a hiring platform and recruiting software that boasts a faster approach to the hiring process, giving you time back to focus on your business. The platform is built and priced with small to mid-sized businesses in mind, with a few different plans to choose from depending on your business’s needs.
One of the biggest advantages of JazzHR is its platform, which is built to hire fast. This means setup is quick and easy, allowing you to fill roles quickly and easily.
- Easily track and rank candidates
- Integrates with top HR tools
- Customizable brand assets
- Fast e-signatures
- Compliance and reporting features
- Fast to set up so you can hire quickly
- Highly customizable platform
- Unlimited jobs and users for most plans
- Candidate experience is seamless
- Email-only support available for the lowest-tier package
- Fewer features than some competitors
JazzHR doesn’t offer a free plan; however, they do offer a low-cost plan at $49 per month billed annually for their Hero plan, which allows unlimited users and up to three job postings.
Their Plus plan costs $239 per month, billed annually, allowing for unlimited users and job postings. Lastly, their Pro plan costs $359 per month, billed annually, and includes the full range of features from hiring to offers, reporting, and all-access support.
Greenhouse doesn’t just make hiring faster and easier, it helps you improve your startup’s hiring process for continuous improvement as your business grows. Used by major brands such as HubSpot and Wayfair, Greenhouse is a platform built for scaling companies to find the best candidates for crucial roles.
From their equity-centered features to extensive reporting capabilities, Greenhouse’s ATS has refined the recruitment process to ensure a better experience for candidates and startups alike. However, if you want onboarding services, you will need to subscribe to their onboarding solution as well, as it is not included.
- Automated surveys to pre-screen candidates
- Equity hiring features include pre-recording name pronunciations and pronoun disclosure
- Optimized job listings for over 1,000 job boards
- Collaboration tools across teams available on the dashboard
- Over 450 integrations available
- Geared towards business built for scale
- Over 40 different reports enable businesses to improve processes
- Makes cross-team collaboration simple
- Candidates can self-schedule interviews
- Pricing isn’t included on the website
- Onboarding services are not included with recruiting services
Unfortunately, pricing isn’t disclosed on the Greenhouse website. For pricing information, you will need to request a demo on the website.
BambooHR is an all-in-one HR solution that includes payroll, benefits, and more. For small to mid-sized businesses looking for a comprehensive human resources solution, this is a strong option. With BambooHR, you can conduct hiring, onboarding, and manage employees once they have joined the team from their all-in-one dashboard or mobile app.
- Cross-team collaborations with custom permissions
- User-friendly onboarding features included
- Mobile hiring app available
- Quick, automated offer letters with e-signatures
- Onboarding features get new hires into their positions quickly and easily
- You can cancel your subscription anytime
- Mobile-friendly platform allows for hiring from anywhere
- Cross-team collaborative hiring is easy between hiring managers and recruiters
- Add-ons available to customize your plan
- ATS only included in Advantage package
- Video interviews not included
- Pricing is not included on website
Pricing isn’t listed on the BambooHR website. To learn more about the cost of this service, you will have to request a quote.
Ashby combines several different functionalities into an all-in-one platform, including ATS, scheduling, CRM, and analytics. Used by fast-scaling companies such as Ramp and Duolingo, Ashby is built for startups, providing valuable recruiting support from early-stage to exit.
The seemingly main objective of this ATS software is speed, which is a valuable attribute for startups looking to save valuable time. Ashby’s scheduling and communication features allow teams to streamline their hiring process and dedicate more time to other priorities.
- Set and achieve diversity goals
- Manage candidate information and send personalized messages
- Color-coded candidate pipeline
- Automated interview scheduling
- Two-way sync with Gmail and Google Calendar
- Built for startups and their unique needs
- Customizable roles increases data security
- Streamlined, automated interview scheduling improves the experience for candidates and teams
- Each feature is built to streamline the hiring process, saving you valuable time
- Higher cost than many competitors
- Only one plan has pricing available
Ashby offers three packages. However, their Startups plan is the only one with pricing listed on the website, for their Growth/Enterprise package and existing ATS plans, you will have to request a quote.
Their Startups plan starts at $300 per month for between 1-10 employees. As your team grows, the cost of using Ashby will increase.
GoHire offers a personalized hiring platform, allowing you to communicate your brand from the very beginning of the recruitment process. This ATS’s most notable feature is its AI-powered job description support. This can eliminate some of the time preparing for the recruitment process and help you fill roles faster.
Something to note, however, is that GoHire has a smaller reach than other job boards, which will lessen your candidate pool. While this may not impact your startup’s ability to recruit top talent, it is an important consideration for startups looking at a high volume.
- Top-tier customer support
- Screening questions and video questionnaires vet candidates early on
- Over 700 job description templates
- Branded career page and job widget included
- Unlimited hiring pipelines
- Bulk messaging and actions streamline the hiring process
- Customizable, branded career page with a custom domain included
- Hundreds of job description templates make posting jobs easier
- Helpful candidate ratings and evaluations
- Eligible startups receive some discounted pro features
- One-click job posting only access 15+ job boards
- Video questionnaires and screening questions only available in higher-cost packages
GoHire is a UK-based company; therefore, their pricing varies by region. To find out the pricing for your country, you will need to reach out directly. However, these are the standard USD prices for their three packages.
The Startup plan is $89 per month, the Growth plan is $150 per month, and the Pro plan is $290 per month. However, early-stage eligible startups may receive pro features at a reduced rate for up to one year.
Lever’s recruiting platform, LeverTRM, is an ATS and CRM combined into one user-friendly platform. Used by major brands like Netflix and Eventbrite, Lever is built for high volumes and big teams.
One notable feature of Lever’s recruitment software is their CRM’s talent rediscovery features. All candidate information is stored with data about where the last recruiter left off to allow you to revisit with talent after the initial interaction.
- Intuitive application tracking features
- Over 300 integrations available
- ISO 27001 certification by Schellman for exceptional security
- Data-backed platform helps you and your team improve processes
- Customizable workflows
- Whole team visibility into the talent pipeline
- Innovative candidate lifecycle management ranges from source to rediscover
- Built for scale and high-volume hiring
- May not be ideal for small businesses
- No pricing available on the website
Lever does not include any pricing information on their website. To learn more about the cost of Lever’s services, you will need to request a quote.
Recruitee aims to streamline the hiring process with its AI-powered talent acquisition software. The platform is more expensive than some competitors. However, each plan offered boasts a long list of included features to expedite the hiring process with ease.
Recruitee’s most notable feature is their smart campaigns that improve job posts to attract top talent and better convey the needs and requirements of the role.
- Custom, optimized campaigns
- Access to over 2,900 free and paid job boards
- User-friendly career site editor makes creating a branding careers page simple
- Custom reports and dashboards
- Templates to automate recurring tasks
- Free trial available
- Accessible customer service
- Easy-to-use platform
- Extensive list of features included with all plans
- More expensive than many competitors
Recruitee offers three plans. Their lowest-tier plan is the Launch plan, which starts at $224 per month and is billed annually for up to 10 job slots. Their Scale plan costs $399 per month, billed annually, for 10 job slots. You can increase the job slots available for an increased price on either plan.
Their final plan is the Lead plan, which is a custom price for your business. You will need to reach out to Recruitee directly for more pricing information.
How to Choose an Applicant Tracking System
The right applicant tracking system can save your team valuable time and labor-filling positions. Moreover, it can make finding the right candidate easier than ever before. However, choosing the right ATS for your startup can be a challenge if you aren’t sure what to look for. These are some of the key considerations to make when choosing an ATS.
Every business has a budget, and while hiring is an integral part of the success of a startup, the hiring software you choose shouldn’t break the bank. Choose an ATS that fits well within your budget, and make sure you factor in projected growth, as the cost of many services will increase as your team grows.
Your startup’s ATS should include features that will help improve workflow, expedite the hiring process, and match you with the right candidates for your positions. Whether you’re looking for AI-generated job descriptions or video interview capabilities, ensure your ATS is meeting the needs of your startup feature-wise. Moreover, if you’re looking for an ATS with basic recruiting features, you don’t want to pay for an extensive list of features you won’t use.
If you’re looking to cast a wide net during the hiring process, you need an ATS that can reach a wide number of candidates. Most ATS platforms offer one-click job posting to a number of job boards. Be sure to compare different platforms to ensure you’re getting the right candidate pool for your business needs. Plus, do your research on the types of job boards you’re looking to advertise your job openings on to attract the right candidates.
If you’re in a rush to fill roles or acquire top talent, your software shouldn’t hold the process back. Accessible and effective customer service is a key component of a great ATS. Be sure to do your research on what other customers are saying about potential ATS customer support to make sure you get the service you need when it counts.
What is an applicant tracking system (ATS)?
An applicant tracking system (ATS) is a software application designed to help businesses track, organize, and take action on job posting applications. The software will often sort applications based on specific metrics and allow hiring managers and recruiters to pre-screen and vet potential candidates easily.
How does an ATS work?
An applicant tracking system works by scanning and organizing job posting applications. Users can categorize applications based on a number of factors, including keywords, location, experience, or skills listed on applications.
How much does an ATS cost?
The cost of an applicant tracking system varies per software, with the price commonly increasing based on team size and number of job postings required.
Do startups use ATS?
Many startups use applicant tracking systems to help expedite the hiring process. However, it is unique to each company.
Is an ATS the same as a CRM?
No, however, they are commonly combined for comprehensive hiring software. An ATS is tracking applicants, and their information allows businesses to easily organize potential candidates and make effective hiring decisions. A CRM, or candidate relationship manager, provides valuable support in managing the interview and communication process between the hiring company and the candidate.