Step 1) Obtain A Copy Of The Registration Form
The instructions are at the top as you can see, so read them carefully before doing anything else. Be sure you fully understand what the questions mean and are asking.
Step 2) Complete The Montana DBA Registration Form
You can fill it out online then print, and go with handwritten. Just make sure to use solid dark ink and write VERY legibly so there are no issues. Either way, the following information is required:
- Complete assumed business name;
- Description of the business to be operated under the assumed business name;
- Name and complete business address of the applicant;
- Daytime contact of the business;
- Signature of the applicant of the assumed business name.
Depending on the type of business structure, there may also be additional questions required when filing a DBA in Montana. Note that after the form is filled out, do a double/triple check of the entries to make sure everything is correct. Then have the form notarized by an authorized individual.
Step 3) Send The Completed DBA Registration Form
Now all that's left is to send the form to the Secretary of State. The mailing address is provided on the actual form. The regular filing fee is $20 payable to the Montana Secretary of State.
An expedited fee of $20 is added for 24-hour priority handling while $100 is required for a 1-hour priority handling on top the standard filing fee.
Need Help Filing Your DBA?
If you'd like help filing a DBA in Montana, feel free to read our reviews of the two most popular services.
- LegalZoom DBA Review: Pricing starts at $99 + state fee. Best if you're looking for the most popular DBA filing service available.
- CorpNet DBA Review: Pricing starts at $108 + state fee. Best if you're looking for great customer service.