Wave is definitely one of the more unique companies in the business accounting software industry, so it can be challenging to find comparable alternatives. To help with that, we’ve created our own list of alternatives to point you towards some equally great options.
Today, we’ll be walking you through those options so you can see which one suits your personal needs best. We’ll talk a little about each company, discuss a few key features, and let you know about pricing. So without further adieu, let’s jump in!
Recommended: Hiring an accountant can save your company thousands of dollars in taxes each year. Get a free tax consultation with 1-800Accountant.
1. Xero - $9 to $70/month
First up on our countdown, we’ve got a personal favorite. Xero has been a huge force in the industry for a couple years, and has helped tons of busy entrepreneurs jumpstart their business with their easy to use tools. We’ve cherry picked a few of their most unique additions, including:
- Conversion Tools: Looking to switch? Xero allows you to easily switch from QuickBooks by automatically retrieving your information, so you don’t have to spend hours copying information into their platform.
- Manage Inventory: Xero offers a full suite of inventory tools so that you can input products, and track orders with just a few clicks.
- Payroll: Paying your employees and managing time sheets is super easy with Xero’s payroll features. Here, you can have employees submit time, view total amount paid, and allow other employees limited access to approve time off for other employees while still keeping other aspects of your business’ finances private.
These features and many more are included in their 3 tiered packaging structure. They offer their introductory package at $9 a month and their prices range from there to about $70 a month. They do, however, offer a free 30-day trial so you can try the entire platform risk-free before feeling pressured to purchase a thing.
2. FreshBooks - $15 to $50/month
Next up we have FreshBooks. FreshBooks also offers a modern, intuitive set up and a bunch of cool features, including:
- Estimates: With FreshBooks estimates you can send a proposed total cost to clients before the job gets started. This is great for record keeping and transparency, so you and your clients are on the same page from day one.
- Customizable Invoices: Using their templates, you can create and send out your invoices in minutes. Better yet, you can edit them and import your logo to reflect your style and your brand.
- Time-tracking: Their time-tracking tools allow you to record every minute of time spent on a project, and pause when you're ready to switch gears, take a break, or check off some other items on your to-do list.
FreshBooks, like Xero, offers its software as part of a monthly subscription service that ranges from $15-$50 depending on the number of active clients you’d like to include as part of your profile. But they do offer a 30 day free trial so you can try it first before you buy.
3. Zoho Books - $9 to $29/month
Finishing up our countdown, we’ve got Zoho Books. Zoho is the rookie of this line up, since their accounting software has only been in the business for a few years. Though they are newcomers, their features are well designed and very promising. Some of our favorite features include:
- Client Portal: Designed for maximum communication, Zoho Books’ client portal allows you to receive client feedback, track expenses and accept bulk payments, all of which is instantly organized by the project so you know exactly where everything is.
- Advisors Program: Designed for accountants, Zoho Books offers bookkeepers a chance to register with them. This helps to both give recognition to great accountants, as well as give you a list of capable professionals if you find yourself needing a bookkeeper.
- Collaboration: Unlike others within the industry, Zoho Books allows for an unlimited amount of additional users, so you can set up roles for every team member you need to get the most out of your accounting software.
Zoho Books is actually the most cost effective option in this countdown, with its introductory package starting at $9 a month, just like Xero. But that changes as you get to some of the higher tiered packages. They offer their professional package for $29 a month, which is $20 dollars cheaper than the FreshBooks equivalent and $50 less than the Xero equivalent.
Ready to Get Started?
Each of these alternatives offer some fantastic features, but at the end of the day, our vote is still with Xero. We love their modern and intuitive setup, and they offer more features than almost any other platform in the industry. If you’d like to learn more about Xero, click the link below to try their software free for 30 days. Cheers!