Are you in the market for business tax software, but you’re not sure which option is the best choice to help you file your company’s taxes? Many different companies offer tax software solutions, and it’s important that you pick the one that’s the right fit for your business.
TaxAct Business is one of the top business tax software products available. Their low prices are really appealing, as your federal return will cost $39-60 (depending on business structure) and your state return will cost $37. One drawback is that you’ll have to buy multiple copies of this product if you need to file returns for multiple businesses, but on the positive side they do offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
In this TaxAct Business alternatives guide, we’ll discuss the details of two top competitors. Is one of them a better choice for you?
#1 TurboTax Business - Pricing Starts at $159.99
TurboTax started offering business tax software in the mid-1980s, and they’re one of the most popular companies in this industry. They have a lot of valuable features to offer entrepreneurs, but it’s not exactly the cheapest option out there.
- With TurboTax Business, you’ll spend $159.99 for federal returns and $49.99 for state filings. While this might seem pretty expensive compared to TaxAct Business, it’s important to note that you can file tax returns for multiple businesses with one purchase of TurboTax.
- One of the biggest advantages of TurboTax Business is their high convenience factor. This software can automatically import accounting data from QuickBooks, which is a feature unique to TurboTax. With the other products in this guide, you’ll need to transfer data via CSV files.
- TurboTax Business includes basic audit support with every order, which means they’ll help you figure out what to do in case of an audit. If you pay an extra $45, you can access their Audit Defense program which gives you in-person audit support.
TurboTax Business also gets the best customer reviews I’ve seen in this industry. Overall, I really like every aspect of TurboTax Business except for the price, and even that’s not bad if you’re a serial entrepreneur with multiple businesses to file for.
#2 H&R Block Premium & Business - Pricing Starts at $79.95
Since they opened for business way back in 1955, H&R Block has been one of the industry leaders for tax filing services. Their Premium & Business tax software product is a strong option that proves H&R Block hasn’t lost a step in the digital age.
- H&R Block Premium & Business is available for $79.95 for federal filings, and they charge $19.95 for returns in one state (returns in additional states available for $39.95 each). Like TurboTax Business, this purchase allows you to file taxes for more than one business.
- In my opinion, they offer the best audit support in the business tax software industry. Every H&R Block Premium & Business customer receives in-person audit representation at no extra cost, which is great for your peace of mind.
- If you encounter more problems than expected, H&R Block offers in-store assistance. While there is obviously an additional fee attached to this feature, it’s nice to know that if things go awry, you can walk into a store and talk to a real person about it.
H&R Block Premium & Business doesn’t boast the same high-quality customer reviews that TurboTax Business has, but they’re still pretty good. All told, this is a strong business tax software offering, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Premium & Business to any entrepreneur seeking help during tax season.
Any of these 3 business tax software programs are solid choices. All of them are entirely capable of saving you lots of time and hassle over the DIY route, and they’ll certainly save you a significant amount of money over hiring an accountant or tax attorney. These software solutions each have their own sets of pros and cons. Generally speaking, TaxAct Business has the most affordable pricing, TurboTax Business has the best convenience and highest ease of use, and H&R Block Premium & Business offers comprehensive fraud support.
Which one you ultimately prefer likely comes down to your personal preferences, as I think these are all really strong options. My personal preference is TurboTax Business because convenience is important to me when it comes to business tax software. No matter which one you choose, I hope your tax season goes smoothly!