Strategyzer Pros & Cons
- Experience: Strategyzer was founded by Alexander Osterwalder, the inventor of the original Business Model Canvas. Millions have devoured his books Business Model Generation and Value Proposition Design to build their business models.
- Collaboration: Strategyzer doesn’t charge per user. If you invest in their web app, you’ll be able to collaborate with as many folks as you need at no extra cost.
- User-Friendly: The minimalist design and intuitive organization of their platform makes their projects and canvases easy to navigate.
- Risk-Free: If you’re not completely stoked on their services, you can get your money back within 30 days of purchase.
- Educational: They offer an assortment of free, well-produced instructional videos on Vimeo. These are great for building a working knowledge of their business modeling approach and figuring out whether or not it’ll benefit your business. They also have online courses, workshops, and other training opportunities available for extra fees.
- Pricey: For $299.99/year, Strategyzer isn’t cheap. There are tons of less expensive – even free – options out there for building a business model canvas.
- Commitment: They don’t offer month-to-month plans, so you have to commit to at least a full year.
Strategyzer Pricing & Features
Currently, Strategyzer offers one app-based package as their Enterprise plan is still being developed.
The Small Team Package = $299.99/yr
The Small Team package costs $299.99/year (no month-to-month option). Included are unlimited Business Model Canvases and users, real-time collaboration, their financial estimator, integration with Excel and Powerpoint, and more. They also include helpful prompts and references every step of the way.
The Business Model Canvas is made up of nine building blocks:
- Cost Structure
- Revenue Streams
- Key Partners / Resources / Activities
- Value Propositions
- Customer Relationships / Segments
One thing we love about the app is the way the virtual sticky notes limit the number of characters you can type in each building block. This forces you to get to the heart of each section and communicate your ideas clearly and concisely.
When to Use: I recommend using a business modeling service like Strategyzer for brainstorming and communication between business partners and team members. Since it differs quite a bit from a traditional business planning service, Strategyzer’s small team package functions much better as a tool you can use to better understand future goals and new ideas.
Out of the 5 million people who have used Strategyzer’s services, none of them (that I can find online) have left reviews. And while that may sound daunting, I tend to take this as a good sign. If their platform was super-glitchy or simply not worth the cost, someone would’ve complained about it by now, right?
One thing we can say for sure is Strategyzer is legit. Tens of thousands of folks follow them on Facebook and Twitter to scoop up daily business advice. The app is built around the work of Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur, which millions of people have used to improve their businesses.