Easy Steps To Protect Your New Hampshire Nonprofit and Keep Your Nonprofit Compliant

If you are starting a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in New Hampshire, you have come to the right place. After following the easy steps for New Hampshire nonprofit formation, follow this guide to help keep your New Hampshire nonprofit compliant and protected.

In this guide we cover:

  1. How to Protect Your New Hampshire Nonprofit
  2. How to Keep Your New Hampshire Nonprofit Compliant
A man shaking another person's hand.

How to Protect Your New Hampshire Nonprofit

Get Business Insurance

As with any other business, there may be risks involved in running the nonprofit. Getting insurance for your nonprofit allows you to focus on your passion while minimizing your liability.

Here are some of the common types of insurance you may want to consider for your organization:

  • General Liability Coverage
  • Directors and Officers Coverage
  • Social Service Professional Coverage

Your coverage needs will vary based on your organization and the work you do.

Properly Sign Legal Documents

There will be times when you will be signing a document on behalf of your nonprofit. It is important that these times are easily distinguishable from when you are signing a document as an individual. If a document isn’t properly signed, you might suddenly find yourself personally responsible for something the organization should have been liable for.

To avoid such confusion we recommend you and all the members of your organization follow the following format:

  • The official name of your nonprofit
  • Your signature
  • Your full legal name
  • Your position in the organization

How to Keep Your New Hampshire Nonprofit Compliant

Maintain A New Hampshire Registered Agent

Nonprofits that have incorporated are required to maintain a registered agent with an office address in New Hampshire.

If the agent or the office address changes, you must file Form 10 with the Secretary of State to effect a change to the Articles of Agreement. This form can be mailed to the address found below:

Corporation Division
NH Department of State
107 N Main St, Rm 204
Concord, NH 03301-4989

For more information, you can call the Corporate Division at (603) 271-3246

File Required Periodic Reports

The secretary of state requires nonprofits to submit a Business Compliance Report every 5 years (every year ending with a 5 or 0). This form can be submitted online, along with the $25 fee, through the NH QuickStart portal.

For more information, you can call the Corporate Division at (603) 271-3246, visit them at their website, or visit their office at the address found below:

State House Annex, Room 317
25 Capitol Street, 3rd Floor
Concord, NH 03301

Determine New Hampshire Business Permits and Licenses

As a nonprofit in the state of New Hampshire, your organization will not need a general business license. You may, however, need to obtain a business license from your county or city.

If your organization will be hosting charitable games (bingo, raffles, etc), it will need to apply for an applicable license through the New Hampshire Racing and Charitable Gaming Commission.


If your nonprofit is a charity and will be soliciting contributions, you must register with the New Hampshire Department of Justice, Charitable Trusts Unit using form NHCT-1. This form can be mailed to the address found below:

Charitable Trusts Unit
New Hampshire Department of Justice
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH | 03301

For more information, you can call the Charitable Trusts Unit at (603) 271-3591


If your organization will have employees you must register with the New Hampshire Employment Security using Form RSA 282-A. This form can be mailed to the address found below:

New Hampshire Employment Security
45 South Fruit Street
Concord, NH 03301-4857

For more information, you can call Employment Security at (603) 228-4142 or visit them at their website.

Public Inspection Rules for all 501(c)(3) Organizations

All organizations that have been granted the 501(c)(3) status are required to disclose the following documents to the public when requested:

  • Annual returns for 3 years after the due date (this includes returns like Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, and any Forms 990-T)
  • All Form 990 Schedules (except portions of Schedule B), attachments and supporting documents.
  • Application of exemption and all supporting documents such as Form 1023
  • The official paperwork from the IRS that shows that your organization has tax-exempt status.

The following do NOT need to be shared with the public

  • Portions of schedule B of Form 990/990-EZ that identify the contributors. (You only need to disclose the amount contributed and the nature of the contributions)
  • Any unfavorable rulings such as an earlier denial of tax-exempt status.
  • Any information the IRS has said you can withhold. This may include things like sensitive patents and trade secrets.


How long do I have to produce these documents if requested?

Ideally within the same day. If your organization doesn’t have an office or maintains limited hours during parts of the year, the information should be made available within two weeks.

Do I need to provide copies of the documents?

If someone asks for copies in person or in writing you must provide them with copies.

Can I charge for copies?

You can charge a reasonable amount for making copies of the documents requested.

NOTE: It may be easiest to have the documents available on your website so that anyone who requests copies can be sent to the site. This allows you to stay compliant without having to spend a lot of time dealing with document requests.

Annual Returns for Tax-Exempt Organizations

Most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are required to file an annual return with the IRS (Check the list of exceptions).

Which form you should use to file the annual returns depends on the annual gross receipt amounts for your organization.

"Gross receipt" is defined by the IRS as “the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses”

  • For gross receipts ≤$50,000 --- File 990-N
  • Gross receipts <$200,000 and total assets <$500,000 --- File 990- EZ
  • Gross receipts >$200,000 or Total assets >$500,000 --- File 990

For any questions, you can call the IRS at

  • (800) 829-3676 (Form-related questions)
  • (800) 829-1040 (General information)

When is form 990 due?

You have a little over 4 months after your taxable year comes to an end to file Form 990. It is due on the 15th day of the 5th month. So if your taxable year ends on Dec 31st, your form 990 is due on May 15th.

NOTE: If your organization fails to file form 990 for 3 consecutive years, it will automatically lose its tax-exempt status.

Report Unrelated Business Income

If your New Hampshire organization has a gross income of ≥$1000 from a trade or business that is not related to the stated purpose of the organization, then it must file Form 990-T to pay tax on that income.