How to File the Articles of Agreement for a New Hampshire Nonprofit

Filing the Articles of Agreement is a critical step in starting a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit in New Hampshire. Whether you have been running a charity for a while or are just starting out, your nonprofit organization will need to fill out the Articles of Agreement and file them with the State of New Hampshire. This will allow you to file for 501(c)(3) status and reap the benefits of having an official 501(c)(3) nonprofit.

Want to form a nonprofit elsewhere? Check out our other How to Start a Nonprofit guides.

Don't have time? Use a trusted professional service:

four point eight out of five stars Northwest (Starting at $29 + State Fees).

Person submitting paperwork.

Starting a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in New Hampshire is easy, just follow these easy steps to file the New Hampshire Articles of Agreement:

If you are starting a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in New Hampshire, you have come to the right place. After reading the comprehensive guide for New Hampshire nonprofit formation, follow this guide to file the New Hampshire Articles of Agreement with the Department of State. What is covered in this guide:

  1. Information you will need to file the New Hampshire Articles of Agreement
  2. How to file the New Hampshire Articles of Agreement
  3. New Hampshire Nonprofit Formation FAQ

Information you will need to file the New Hampshire Articles of Agreement

To become a nonprofit corporation in New Hampshire you must file NP-1, the Articles of Agreement of a New Hampshire Nonprofit Corporation.

Here are the sections that you will need to complete:

First: Entity Name

Enter the name you selected.

For help with selecting a name for your nonprofit read our comprehensive guide on how to name a New Hampshire nonprofit.

Second: Purpose

Describe the purpose of your nonprofit organization.

In order to qualify for 501(c)(3) status, the organization’s purpose must explicitly be limited to one or more of the following:

  • Charitable
  • Religious
  • Scientific
  • Literary
  • Testing for public safety
  • Fostering national/international amateur sports competition
  • Preventing cruelty to animals/children

NOTE: You can read the IRS guidelines.

Third: Membership

If your nonprofit corporation will have members, include your provisions regarding establishing membership and member participation.

Fourth: Dissolution

Use this section of the articles of formation to formally state what the assets of the organization will be used for, and what will happen to the assets if the organization is dissolved.

To be eligible for 501(c)(3) status, you must convince the IRS that the organization’s assets will always only be used for the purposes approved under 501(c)(3) rules. To this end, you must include provisions ensuring that in the event your organization is dissolved, the assets of the organization will be used towards tax-exempt purposes.

Section 5 of this sample document provides an example of these provisions required for 501(c)(3) eligibility.

Fifth: Principal Address

Enter the principal street, mailing, and email address of the nonprofit corporation.

Sixth: Capital Stock, Shares, and/or Certificates

Since you will be applying for 501(c)(3) status, this section will not apply to your organization.

Seventh: Liability

If your articles should include a provision that eliminates or limits the liability of directors and/or officers for breach of duty, provide details in this section.

Eighth: Directors and Officers

At least 5 directors and/or officers will need to be named.

Since this document will become public record you may want to use a post office box address rather than the residential addresses of the directors to maintain privacy.

Enter the information of the directors selected.

How to file the New Hampshire Articles of Agreement

The Articles of Agreement must be submitted in two steps: to the state and to the city or town of business.

Step 1: State

Submit the original signed Articles of Agreement, along with the filing fee, to the address below:

Corporate Division
NH Dept. of State
107 N Main St., Rm. 204
Concord, NH 03301-4989

Step 2: City or Town

Submit a copy of the signed Articles of Agreement to the nonprofit's city or town clerk. A list of towns and cities in New Hampshire can be found here

The filing fee is $25.

  • Personal checks or money order must be made payable to the "State of New Hampshire"

New Hampshire Nonprofit Formation FAQ

How long does it take to process Form NP-1?

It typically takes about two weeks to process mail submissions.

How do I contact the Department of State for more information?

You can call for information at (603) 271-3246 or visit them at their website.