LLC Operating Agreements are some of the most popular and crucial corporate legal documents to have on hand when starting your next venture.
But, understanding all of the procedures, legal jargon and key pieces of information can be challenging, especially if you’re not yet fluent in all the lingo just yet.
To help with that, several companies have created legal templates that outline all of the necessary steps so you can create tailor-made documents easily. Today we’ll be talking specifically about Rocket Lawyer’s templating platform, and how you can create your LLC Operating Agreements. We’ll walk you through some pros and cons, features and more to see if it's right for you.
Quick Note: Download a template or create a custom Free LLC Operating Agreement using our tool on How to Start an LLC. No credit card required, ever.
Pros & Cons of Using Rocket Lawyer Templates
Pros of Using Rocket Lawyer Templates
- LLC operating agreements are extremely common, and Rocket Lawyer has theirs maintained by legal professionals so you know they’re up to date.
- If you opt for the Premium service, you can get your operating agreement looked over by a business attorney at a discounted price.
- Their template does a good job of handling the basic format and common formal legalese language.
- While some customization will likely be necessary, their step-by-step instructions are actually really well designed. It guides you through the process, explaining each section you need to fill out.
- Overall their services will cost far less than a law firm or personal attorney. This is one of the primary reasons entrepreneurs and startups use Rocket Lawyer.
Cons of Using Rocket Lawyer Templates
- While Rocket Lawyer will give you access to independent legal professionals, neither these professionals or Rocket Lawyer will be held liable should you make a mistake. It’s on your shoulders. This is one of the major differences between working with an online legal service and a conventional law firm.
- They have tons of online reviews and testimonials, and not everyone has an amazing experience. For example, all our contacts with their customer service have been easy and professional, but some claim differently.
Pricing & Features
Single Document Purchase: $29+ (depending on document complexity)
This generally costs around $29 depending on what exactly you’re looking for and how complex or customized the document is. We’re not a huge fan of this option, as you can’t checkout until you set up a profile and provide all credit card details. However, it makes some sense since they store your document for you, as well as let you come back and revise or edit if need be.
I recommend this package for those of you who want a zero-hassle way to create your meeting minutes. Because it's such a low commitment option, you can buy the document, create, revise, download and be on your way.
Premium Package: $39.95/mo.
If you’re looking for a larger commitment, maybe their Premium package is more your style. With this monthly subscription, you’ll have access to their entire document library so you can create whatever legal documents from their templates. Along with that, you can store all of these documents using their cloud storage and revisit and revise whenever you like.
We think this package is a great starting point for small businesses because you have access to all of their templates, so no matter how your needs change, there’s something available to you.
Rocket Lawyer has helped over 20 million people, so it’s no surprise that they’ve received hundreds of reviews online. To give you an idea about what reviewers are saying, we’ve tallied up their reviews across a number of popular review platforms.
Customer reviews as of 8-31-2017:
- BBB: A+
- TrustPilot: 9.5/10, 111 reviews
- SiteJabber: 3.3/5, 386 reviews
- FitSmallBusiness: 3/5, 3 reviews
- Consumer Affairs: 2.5/5, 8 reviews
As you can see, their reviews are a little all over the place. Some people love them, some don’t. The #1 complaint online is from people who feel they were unjustly charged. This isn’t necessarily the case and I think is due to the semi-confusing pricing setup Rocket Lawyer has, but because it is so prevalent in the reviews, I highly recommend that you double-check everything during the registration process.
Overall most people love that their packages give you unlimited access to their templates and how much time and money it saves over conventional legal help.