QuickBooks has been in the industry for decades, so it’s no surprise that it’s still heavily sought after by a number of small businesses and entrepreneurs. But, there are some amazing alternatives out there these days that build on the same features that made QuickBooks so popular.
Today, we’ll walk through our top three alternatives for the QuickBooks accounting software. We’ll talk through the three companies, mention a couple of our favorite features, and give you an idea of what you can expect to pay for each. So without further adieu, let’s jump in!
#1 Xero - $9 to $70/month
First off on our countdown, we’ve got Xero. Xero remains one of our personal favorites in this category, because of it’s sleek, easy-to-use design. They’ve taken some of the most sought after features in this industry and improved them, making Xero one of the most popular online accounting software company in the industry. Some of our favorites of those improved features include:
- Conversion from QuickBooks: Thinking about switching, but don’t want spend hours transferring all your data? No problem, Xero has created a conversion tool that seamlessly integrates your previous data from QuickBooks.
- Modern & Intuitive Dashboard: Like we said, they specialize in intuitive software design. Find everything you need through their dashboard, including financial reports. This way, you can monitor exactly how your business is growing with one quick glance.
- Multi-user capabilities: One of the most commented-on capabilities in multi-user packages. QuickBooks hasn’t quite mastered this feature yet, while Xero has multi-user capabilities available in multiple packages.
Xero offers their accounting software as a web-based subscription service. Depending on the number of features you’d like included, as well as the number of users you’d like to have access to the account, you’ll end up paying more or less. Their packages range from $9-$70 a month, but they offer a 30 day free trial so you can try their software for free.
#2 FreshBooks - $15 to $50/month
Next up, we’ve got FreshBooks. FreshBooks is another one of those companies that have followed the trend for easy, efficient software for the busy entrepreneur. Their platform offers a simple yet robust solution to your accounting needs.
- Estimates: While some platforms only offer invoicing tools, FreshBooks allows you to create and send estimates to clients with ease. Once the estimate is communicated to the client, you can start working and sending invoices.
- Customizable Invoicing: Speaking of invoicing, FreshBooks has created a number of invoicing templates that you can edit and customize to reflect your style and branding before sending it out to clients.
- Time-Tracking Tools: QuickBooks also offers time-tracking tools, but we really like how FreshBook’s are organized. Select a project, start the timer and get the work. FreshBooks keeps an eye on the time, and allows you to pause whenever you need to take a break.
FreshBooks, like Xero offers a web-based subscription service. Their packages range from $15 to $50 a month depending on the type of features and capabilities you’d like to have available. With every package you’ll be able send unlimited invoices, sync with various business bank accounts, and more.
#3 LessAccounting - $20 to $54/month
Rounding out our countdown is a company that offers a slightly different approach that the previous two. LessAccounting focuses on providing a more personalized approach, especially for customers who find QuickBooks a little too distant for their tastes. To do this, they’ve incorporated things like:
- Personalized Support: One of the features that customers love is how responsive their customer service team is. They do their best to simplify, remove all of the unnecessary jargon and get you where you need to go so that you can learn to manage your finances independently.
- Mileage Tool: Commuting between jobs? Keep track of those miles with their mileage tracking tool and add that time to invoices as needed.
- Expense Tracking: In addition, you can manage and import your expenses. And once you’ve imported all of the data, you can sort and organize by project, category or income type.
LessAccounting offers two types of accounting help, depending on your needs. The first is their accounting software, which ranges from $20-$54 a month, and the second can either be added these plans for an additional $250 a month or as it's on package for $70-$350 a month. This company allows for a lot of flexibility so you can tailor it to fit your needs.
Ready To Get Started?
QuickBooks, as well as all of their alternatives offer good solutions for you accounting and bookkeeping needs. Xero however, remains one of our personal favorites because of it’s easy-to-use and intuitive platform. If you’d like to learn more about Xero, click the link below to be taken directly to their website and try it free. Cheers!