How to Start a Nonprofit in South Carolina

Two people forming a nonprofit in South Carolina

Use A Professional Service

A professional service will handle the entire incorporation process on your behalf, allowing you to focus on the other needs of your new business.

4.8 out of 5 starsIncfile ($49 + state fee) for basic & quick nonprofit formation.

4.4 out of 5 starsLegalZoom ($99 + state fee) for the most well-known service available.


To form a nonprofit corporation in South Carolina, follow the steps below. It is also advisable for your South Carolina nonprofit to obtain a 501(C)(3) status from the IRS, as this will enable federal tax exemption for your South Carolina nonprofit corporation. Learn more about 501(c)(3) nonprofits here.

To start a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation in South Carolina you must:

  1. Form a nonprofit corporation according to the rules of the state
  2. Apply for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status with the IRS

You will need the following documents:

  • Form 33-31-202 - Articles of Incorporation (Form)
  • 501(c)(3) - Attachment (Form)
  • Bylaws and Conflict of Interest Policy (Instructions) (Templates)
  • SCDOR-111 - Department of Revenue Tax Registration (Form)
  • IRS Form SS-4 (EIN application) (Form)
  • IRS Form 1023 (501(c) application) (Instructions) (Form)

In addition, most 501(c)(3) charities in South Carolina will also want to apply for state tax exemptions using South Carolina’s Application for Exemption.

Forming a Nonprofit in South Carolina is easy, just follow these 4 steps

Step 1: Name Your South Carolina Nonprofit

The name you select for your nonprofit will establish its brand. It is the first thing most people will learn about your organization. It is important to pick a name that both aligns with your mission and follows the rules of naming in South Carolina.

To learn more, read our How to Name a Nonprofit in South Carolina guide.

Nonprofit Naming Guidelines

The name of you pick for your organization must adhere to the following:

  • A corporate name may not contain language stating or implying that the corporation is organized for a purpose other than that permitted by Section 33-31-301 and its articles of incorporation.
  • The name must be different than other South Carolina businesses.

You should read the Secretary of State's official guidelines (Article 4) for the complete rules on naming a South Carolina-based organization.

Is the Name Available?

The name of your nonprofit must be distinct from any existing corporations in South Carolina. To check availability and secure your corporation’s name we recommend the following resources: Use the Business Entity Search to make sure the name you have selected has not already been taken.

Is the Website Domain Name Available?

If you plan to have a website for your organization, you will want to make sure that a suitable URL is currently available on GoDaddy.

You may want to buy any URLs you are interested in, to make sure they are available when you are ready to finalize and create your website.

Find a Domain Now

Service provided by

After registering a domain name, consider setting up a professional email account ( Google's G Suite offers a business email service that comes with other useful tools, including word processing, spreadsheets, and more. Try it for free

Step 2: Appoint A South Carolina Registered Agent

A nonprofit corporation in South Carolina is required to have a registered agent with a South Carolina address.

What is a Registered Agent? A registered agent is an individual or business entity responsible for receiving important legal documents on behalf of your business. Think of your registered agent as your business' point of contact with the state.

Who can be a Registered Agent? A registered agent must be a resident of South Carolina or a corporation, such as a registered agent service, authorized to transact business in South Carolina. You may elect an individual within the company including yourself.

NOTE: A registered agent must have consented to being the designated registered agent for your organization before you can file the Articles of Formation.

Incfile provides the first year of registered agent service free with nonprofit formation ($49 + State Fees)

Step 3: Select Your Board Members and Officers

The directors of a nonprofit are responsible for overseeing the operations of the organization and come together to form a board.

Features of directors:

  • All the directors of an organization together form the board of directors.
  • The power and influence of the directors over the organization is as the board of directors, the directors do not have authority as individuals.
  • The board typically creates the policies that govern the nonprofit. The board of directors also oversee management-level hiring like that of the officers.

The officers of a nonprofit (such as the president or the secretary) are individuals with responsibilities, and the authority to execute based on their job descriptions.

Together, the officers and the board will come together to make up the organizational structure of your nonprofit.

An officer may also be on the board of directors and serve both roles if allowed to do so by the organizational bylaws created by your team.

The organization structure of your nonprofit in South Carolina MUST include:

  • At least 3 directors not related to each other
  • A president
  • A secretary
  • A treasurer

NOTE: One person can hold two or more offices.

To learn more, read our guide on how to select board members for your nonprofit.

Step 4: File The South Carolina Articles of Incorporation

To become a nonprofit corporation in South Carolina you must file Form 33-31-202, the Articles of Incorporation for Nonprofit Organizations. If you plan to seek 501(c)(3) status, you must fill out the 501(c)(3) attachment as well.

Here are the sections that you will need to complete.

Section 1: Entity Name and Type
Enter the name you selected in Step 1.

Section 2: Initial Registered Office
Enter the information of the registered agent you selected in Step 2.

Section 3: Select the Appropriate Nonprofit Type
Choose one of the following:

  • Public Benefit Corporation
  • Religious Corporation
  • Mutual Benefit Corporation

NOTE: If you will be applying for 501(c)(3) exempt status, you are most likely a public benefit corporation.

Section 4: Membership
Select the box appropriate depending on whether or not your nonprofit corporation will have members.

Section 5: Address
List the address of the principal office of your nonprofit corporation.

Section 6: Public Benefit or Religious Corporation Dissolution
You must include provisions ensuring that in the event your organization is dissolved, the assets of the organization will be used towards tax-exempt purposes.

Section 5 of this sample document provides an example of these provisions required for 501(c)(3) eligibility.

Section 7: Mutual Benefit Corporation Dissolution
This section is not relevant for organizations that will be applying for 501c3 status.

Section 8: Supplemental Provisions/Information
You may use this section to state any additional provisions regarding your organization.

Section 9: Incorporator(s)
The incorporator is the person who completes, signs, and submits the certification of formation. This person does not need to be a part of your organization. This can be you or a lawyer helping you with the process of formation.

Enter the incorporator(s) name and business address here.

Section 10: Director(s)
At least 3 directors will need to be named. Their names and signatures should go in this section.

When filling the form do not use any prefixes such as “Mr.” or “Ms.” and only use the suffix box for titles of lineage such as ‘Jr.’, ‘Sr.’, or ‘III’ but not for designations such as M.D. or Ph.D.

Enter the information of the directors selected in Step 3.

Section 11: Incorporator(s) Signatures
Each incorporator listed in section #9 needs to sign the form in this section.

Section 12: Effectiveness of Filing
This section allows you to determine the date on which your nonprofit corporation officially forms.

Option A = your organization will officially form on the day the Secretary of State files your certificate of formation.
Option B = you select the date of formation.


There are two ways to submit your Articles of Incorporation: online or by mail.

The filing fee is $25 with an additional $7.50 for online filing.

  • Checks and money orders for mailed forms must be made payable to the "SC Secretary of State"
  • Accepted credit cards for online filing include Visa, Discover, MasterCard, and American Express

You can file your Articles of Incorporation for Nonprofit through the Secretary of State’s online portal.

Submit 2 copies of the Articles of Incorporation, a 501(c)(3) attachment, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to the address below:

Secretary of State
ATTN: Corporate Filings
1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 525
Columbia, SC 29201

Nonprofit Formation FAQ

How long does it take to process Form 33-31-202?

If you file online it typically takes about 24 hours. If you file by mail expect to get a response in 2-3 business days.

How do I contact the Secretary of State?

You can call for information at (803) 734-2158 or visit them at their website.

Nonprofit Operating Procedures and Housekeeping

Draft Bylaws And Conflict Of Interest Policy

There are two documents that will be central to the running of your nonprofit:

Bylaws: These are the rules that determine how your organization will be governed and run.

You can think about it as a constitution for your nonprofit. It makes the rules and priorities clear for everyone involved.

In your bylaws be sure to include:

  • How the nonprofit will be governed – the role of directors and officers
  • How meetings are held, voting procedures, electing officers or directors
  • How records will be kept and managed
  • How disputes will be handled
  • How bylaws will be added amended in the future

NOTE: Keep in mind that the bylaws will supplement any rules set forth by the federal government or the state.

Ready to get started? Check out these bylaws templates which you can customize to suit the needs of your organization.

The Conflict of Interest Policy: These are the rules set to ensure that decisions being made for the nonprofit are based on what is best for the organization, and not being motivated by what is best for individuals.

Under Appendix A the IRS provides a sample Conflict of Interest Policy.

NOTE: You will want to have both these documents drafted before for your first organizational meeting

Conduct An Organizational Meeting

An organizational meeting is the first official meeting of your nonprofit! Some of the things that are discussed in a typical organizational meeting:

  • Taking attendance to show you have a quorum (minimum number needed)
  • Appointing temporary officers, chairmen, secretary, etc.
  • Adoption of the bylaws
  • Adoption of conflict of interest policy

Don’t forget to record “minutes” of the meeting and have it signed by all attending directors. Here are some corporate minutes templates to help you get the ball rolling.

NOTE: This meeting must occur before your organization can apply for 501(c)(3) federal tax exempt status.

Get An EIN

An EIN or Employment Identification Number (also called a Federal Tax Identification Number or Federal Employment Identification Number), is used to uniquely identify a business entity. You can think of the EIN as a social security number for your nonprofit.

The EIN is required for your organization whether or not it will have any employees.

The EIN will be used for things like:

  • Filing for 501(c)(3) status
  • Opening a bank account
  • Applying for tax-exempt status
  • Submitting tax returns

Once your nonprofit is formed, you can apply for an EIN for your nonprofit via Form SS-4.

NOTE: If you use a nonprofit formation service, EIN assistance might already be included in the package.

Apply for State Tax Identification

You will also need to file for your South Carolina State Tax Identification Number/Account using form SCDOR-111 with the South Carolina Department of Revenue.

This form can be submitted by mail to:

P.O. BOX 125

Open A Business Bank Account

You will typically need to take with you the following items to open a bank account for your nonprofit:

  1. The EIN for the nonprofit
  2. A copy of the nonprofit’s bylaws
  3. A copy of the Certificate of Formation

If your nonprofit has several directors or officers, some banks may also ask for proof that you are authorized to open the account on behalf of the nonprofit.

There are many great options when it comes to picking a bank. Here are the reviews of the top 5 business bank accounts we recommend.

NOTE: It is always best to call ahead. Your bank may require some additional documents.

Start a Corporate Records Book (Optional)

As a nonprofit corporation, your organization will need to keep track of many important documents. This includes documents such as:

  • Certificate of Formation
  • EIN
  • Tax forms
  • Nonprofit bylaws
  • Meeting minutes

We recommend starting a dedicated corporate records book early so that as you start receiving these critical legal documents, they can be kept organized from the very beginning.

While you can keep track of everything using supplies from any office store, it may be easier to use a pre-assembled kit that has the things you need in one place. Blumberg and Bindertek have some options specifically designed to meet the needs of nonprofit corporations.

How to Apply for Tax Exemptions

Your nonprofit organization must apply to the IRS to be exempt from federal taxes.

In addition, most organizations will also apply to the South Carolina Department of Revenue for exemption from state taxes.

Applying for Exemption from Federal Taxes - 501(c)(3) Status

Before your nonprofit can apply for 501(c)(3) status it must:

  1. File the Articles of Incorporation with the required provisions (As covered in Step 4, in Section 6 and with the 501(c)(3) attachment)
  2. Adopt the bylaws and the conflict of interest policy
  3. Have an EIN number

In order to file for tax-exempt status, most organizations will need to file Form 1023 online or by mail (fee: $600).

There are two exceptions:

  1. If your organization’s annual gross receipts are below $50,000 then you may be able to file Form 1023-EZ (fee: $275). Check your eligibility here.
  2. If your organization is a religious institution or has annual gross receipts in each taxable year of no more than $5,000 you may be considered tax-exempt without filing Form 1023. Religious institutions and organizations with gross receipts under $5,000 can still choose to file Form 1023. This would give them a determination letter that specifies that contributions to the organization are tax-deductible.

Applying for Exemption from State Taxes

Once you have received your 501(c) determination letter from the IRS, you can file for state income tax exemption.

You will need to send the following documents to the South Carolina Department of Revenue:

  1. Copy of the IRS determination letter
  2. Letter requesting an exemption from state-level corporate income tax

SC Department of Revenue
Corporation Return
Columbia, SC 29214-0100

To file to obtain sales tax exemption (for purchases made for resale), you must also send the following documents to the SC Department of Revenue:

Nonprofit Tax FAQ

When should an organization apply for federal tax exemption?

Form 1023/1023-EZ must be filed within 27 months from the end of the first month your organization was created.

How long will it take for the IRS to process Form 1023/1023-EZ?

Soon after sending your application you should receive an acknowledgment of receipt of your application.

If your application is simple and complete, IRS will send your determination letter within:

  • 90 days for Form 1023-EZ
  • 180 days for Form 1023

If you have not heard from them by that time you can call (877) 829-5500 to enquire about your application.

Protect Your Nonprofit

Get Business Insurance

As with any other business, there may be risks involved in running the nonprofit. Getting insurance for your nonprofit allows you to focus on your passion while minimizing your liability.

Here are some of the common types of insurance you may want to consider for your organization:

  • General Liability Coverage
  • Directors and Officers Coverage
  • Social Service Professional Coverage

Your coverage needs will vary based on your organization and the work you do.

Properly Sign Legal Documents

There will be times when you will be signing a document on behalf of your nonprofit. It is important that these times are easily distinguishable from when you are signing a document as an individual. If a document isn’t properly signed, you might suddenly find yourself personally responsible for something the organization should have been liable for.

To avoid such confusion we recommend you and all the members of your organization follow the following format:

  • The official name of your nonprofit
  • Your signature
  • Your full legal name
  • Your position in the organization

Keep Your Nonprofit Compliant

Get A Registered Agent

Nonprofits that have incorporated are required to maintain a registered agent with an office address in South Carolina.

If the agent or the office address changes, you must file Form 33-31-502 with the Secretary of State to effect a change to the articles of incorporation.

Failure to do so may result in termination of the corporation.

File Annually

The secretary of state does not require that you file an annual report, but you must send to the following to the South Carolina Department of Revenue:

NOTE: Failure to file this form may result in termination of the corporation.

Determine South Carolina Business Permits And Licenses

As a nonprofit in the state of South Carolina, your organization will not need a general business license.

Your city or county, however, may have specific requirements - we encourage you to check with your area’s clerk’s office for more details.


Most organizations that will be soliciting for or receiving funds in South Carolina must file a Registration Statement for a Charitable Organization with the Secretary of State. This will need to be renewed every year.

You can register online or by mail to:

Office of the Secretary of State
Public Charities Division
1205 Pendleton St.
Suite 525
Columbia, SC 29201

Information: (803) 734-1790
Filing Fee: $50

NOTE: If your organization receives less than $7,500 in the year it may not need to register. Check here to see if your organization is exempt from registration requirements.


If your organization will have employees you must register with the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce.

You can easily apply online or by printing out this form and mailing it to:

S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce
Employer Status Unit
P.O. Box 995
Columbia, SC 29202

Public Inspection Rules for 501(c)(3) Organizations

Organizations that have been granted the 501(c)(3) status are required to disclose the following documents to the public when requested:

  • Annual returns for 3 years after the due date (this includes returns like Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, and any Forms 990-T)
  • All Form 990 Schedules (except portions of Schedule B), attachments and supporting documents.
  • Application of exemption and all supporting documents such as Form 1023
  • The official paperwork from the IRS that shows that your organization has tax-exempt status.

The following do NOT need to be shared with the public

  • Portions of schedule B of Form 990/990-EZ that identify the contributors. ( You only need to disclose the amount contributed and the nature of the contributions)
  • Any unfavorable rulings such as an earlier denial of tax-exempt status.
  • Any information the IRS has said you can withhold. This may include things like sensitive patents and trade secrets.

Documentation FAQ:

How long do I have to produce these documents if requested?
Ideally within the same day. If your organization doesn’t have an office or maintains limited hours during parts of the year, the information should be made available within two weeks.

Do I need to provide copies of the documents?
If someone asks for copies in person or in writing you must provide them with copies.

Can I charge for copies?
You can charge a reasonable amount for making copies of the documents requested.

NOTE: It may be easiest to have the documents available on your website so that anyone who requests copies can be sent to the site. This allows you to stay compliant without having to spend a lot of time dealing with document requests.

Annual Returns for Tax-Exempt Organizations

Most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are required to file an annual return with the IRS (Click here for a list of exceptions).

Which form you should use to file the annual returns depend on the annual gross receipt amounts for your organization.

‘Gross receipt’ is defined by the IRS as “the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses”

  • For gross receipts < $50,000 --- File 990-N
  • Gross receipts <$200,000 and total assets <$500,000 --- File 990-EZ
  • Gross receipts > $200,000 or Total assets > $500,00 --- File 990

For any questions, you can call the IRS at

  1. (800) 829-3676 (Form-related questions)
  2. (800) 829-1040 (General information)

When is form 990 due?

You have a little over 4 months after your taxable year comes to an end to file Form 990. It is due on the 15th day of the 5th month. So if your taxable year ends on Dec 31st, your form 990 is due on May 15th.

NOTE: If your organization fails to file form 990 for 3 consecutive years, it will automatically lose its tax-exempt status.

Report Unrelated Business Income

If your organization has a gross income of >$1000 from a trade or business that is not related to the stated purpose of the organization, then it must file Form 990-T to pay tax on that income.

If you expect to pay $500 or more for the year in taxes on unrelated business income, your organization must pay a quarterly estimated tax on the unrelated business income using Form 990-W.

State of South Carolina Nonprofit Quicklinks