How to Form a Nonprofit in Pennsylvania

Two people forming a nonprofit in Pennsylvania

Use A Professional Service

A professional service will handle the entire incorporation process on your behalf, allowing you to focus on the other needs of your new business.

4.8 out of 5 starsIncfile ($49 + state fee) for basic & quick nonprofit formation.

4.4 out of 5 starsLegalZoom ($99 + state fee) for the most well-known service available.

Before You Begin

Consider Getting A 501(c)(3)

To form a nonprofit corporation in Pennsylvania, follow the steps below. It is also advisable for your Pennsylvania nonprofit to obtain a 501(c)(3) status from the IRS, as this will enable federal tax exemption for your Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation. Learn more about 501(c)(3) nonprofits here.

To start a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation in Pennsylvania you must:

  1. Form a nonprofit corporation according to the rules of the state
  2. Apply for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status with the IRS

You will need the following documents:

Forming a Nonprofit in Pennsylvania is easy, just follow these 4 steps:

Step 1: Name Your Pennsylvania Nonprofit

The name you select for your nonprofit will establish its brand. It is the first thing most people will learn about your organization. It is important to pick a name that both aligns with your mission and follows the rules of naming in Pennsylvania.

To learn more, read our How to Name a Nonprofit in Pennsylvania guide.

Nonprofit Naming Guidelines

  • The name of you pick for your organization must:
    • Be easily distinguishable from other businesses operating in Pennsylvania.
    • Not imply that the organization is part of a government agency.
    • Not imply that the organization is a public utility company.
    • Any words or terms that could be considered grossly offensive, including blasphemy and profanity.
    • Terms associated with financial institutions such as: ‘Bank’, ‘bank and trust’, ‘trust’ or ‘trust company.
    • Terms associated with educational institutions such as: ‘college’, ‘university’, ‘seminary’.
    • Not imply that the organization is an insurance company or use terms associated with insurance such as: ‘annuity’, ‘casualty’, ‘insurance’, etc.
    • Terms associated with specific professions such as: ‘certified public accountant’, ‘public accountant’, ‘architect’, ‘engineer’, ‘surveyor’, ‘pharmacist’, ‘homeopathic’, etc.
    • Terms associated with the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) or any words that may make the public think your organization is associated with the state YMCA unless state YMCA regulations have been followed.
  • You can read the Pennsylvania State Guidelines for the complete rules on naming a Pennsylvania-based organization.

Is the Name Available?

The name of your nonprofit must be distinct from that of any other corporation in Pennsylvania. Use the Business Entity Search to make sure the name you have selected has not already been taken.

Is the Website Domain Name Available?

If you plan to have a website for your organization, you will want to make sure that a suitable URL is currently available on GoDaddy.

You may want to buy any URLs you are interested in, to make sure they are available when you are ready to finalize and create your website.

Find a Domain Now

Service provided by

After registering a domain name, consider setting up a professional email account ( Google's G Suite offers a business email service that comes with other useful tools, including word processing, spreadsheets, and more. Try it for free

Step 2: Appoint A Pennsylvania Registered Office

A nonprofit corporation in Pennsylvania is required to have a registered office with a Pennsylvania address.

What is a Registered Office? A registered office is where the state can deliver legal notices for your nonprofit. Think of your registered agent/office as your business' point of contact with the state. The registered office must have someone there who will be able to receive correspondence every day during usual business hours.

We recommend using a commercial registered agent service, authorized to transact business in Pennsylvania.

Incfile provides the first year of registered agent service free with nonprofit formation ($49 + State Fees)

Step 3: Select Your Board Members and Officers

The directors of a nonprofit are responsible for overseeing the operations of the organization. come together to form a board.

Features of directors:

  • All the directors of an organization together form the board of directors.
  • The pand influence of the directors over the organization is as the board of directors, the directors do not have authority as individuals.
  • The board typically creates the policies that govern the nonprofit. The board of directors also oversee management-level hiring like that of the officers.

The officers of a nonprofit (such as the president or the secretary) are individuals with responsibilities, and the authority to execute based on their job descriptions.

Together, the officers and the board will come together to make up the organizational structure of your nonprofit.

An officer may also be on the board of directors and serve both roles if allowed to do so by the organizational bylaws created by your team.

The organization structure of your nonprofit in Pennsylvania MUST include:

  • 3 directors not related to each other
  • A president
  • A secretary
  • A treasurer

NOTE: Two or more offices can be held by the same person.

To learn more, read our guide on how to select board members for your nonprofit.

Step 4: File The Pennsylvania Articles Of Incorporation

To become a nonprofit corporation in Pennsylvania you must file DSCB:15-5306/7102, the Articles of Incorporation for Nonprofit Corporations.

Before filling out the main part of the form, you must provide a name, street address, or email address for the person who should receive any/all correspondence regarding the filing.

In addition, check any/all appropriate box(es) that accurately describe your filing:

  • If you qualify for a veteran/reservist small business fee exemption
  • If your organization qualifies as a Domestic Nonprofit (your organization must be a domestic nonprofit if you plan to file for 501(c) status)
  • If your organization qualifies as a Nonprofit Cooperative Corporation

Here are the sections that you will need to complete.

Section 1: Entity Name
Enter the name you selected in Step 1.

Section 2: Registered Agent/Registered Office
The registered agent can be any entity registered to do business in Pennsylvania or any person who is a resident of the state. Your organization cannot act as its own registered agent.

Any person you designate as the registered agent/office must have already explicitly consented to act as the registered agent for your organization even though you do not need to include proof of consent with your Form DSCB:15-5306/7102.

Enter the information of the registered agent/office you selected in Step 2 in either Section A or B.

Section 3: Purpose
Describe the purpose of your nonprofit organization.

In order to qualify for 501(c)(3) status, the organization’s purpose must explicitly be limited to one or more of the following:

  • Charitable
  • Religious
  • Scientific
  • Literary
  • Testing for public safety
  • Fostering national/international amateur sports competition
  • Preventing cruelty to animals/children

NOTE: You can read the IRS guidelines here.

Section 4: "The corporation does not contemplate pecuniary gain or profit, incidental or otherwise."

Section 5: Stock
Check the appropriate box indicating if your nonprofit will be operating on a nonstock or stock share basis. If you select stock share, you must indicate the aggregate number of shares authorized.

Note: If you are considering operating on a ‘stock share’ basis, we recommend consulting with an attorney first.

Section 6: Unincorporated Associations
If applicable, check the box to indicate the majority of your association’s members have authorized the incorporation.

Section 7: Membership
Select the appropriate box depending on whether or not your nonprofit corporation plans to have members.

Section 8: For Nonprofit Cooperative Corporations Only
Check one box and describe the common bond among members or shareholders.

Section 9: Incorporators
Incorporators are the people who complete, sign, and submit the certification of formation. These people do not need to be a part of your organization. These people can include you or a lawyer helping you with the process of formation. Enter the names and addresses of the incorporators.

Section 10: Effectiveness of Filing
This section allows you to determine the date on which your nonprofit corporation officially forms.

Option A: your organization will officially form on the day the Secretary of State files your certificate of formation.
Option B: you select the date of formation.

Section 11: Supplemental Provisions/Information
Attach an 8.5x11 sheet of paper and formally state what the assets of the organization will be used for, and what will happen to the assets if the organization is dissolved.

To be eligible for 501(c)(3) status, you must convince the IRS that the organization’s assets will always only be used for the purposes approved under 501(c)(3) rules. To this end, you must include provisions ensuring that in the event your organization is dissolved, the assets of the organization will be used towards tax-exempt purposes.

Section 5 of this sample document provides an example of these provisions required for 501(c)(3) eligibility.

All incorporators must sign and date the form to affirm everything written in the form. You are also affirming that the registered agent/office listed has already consented to be the registered agent for this nonprofit organization.


There are two ways to submit your Articles of Incorporation: online or by mail.

The filing fee is $125.

  • Checks and money orders for mailed forms must be made payable to the "Department of State"
  • Accepted credit cards for online filing include Visa and MasterCard

File the Articles of Incorporation through the Department of State’s online portal.

Submit the Articles of Incorporation to the mailing address found below:

Pennsylvania Department of State
Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations
P.O. Box 8722
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8722

Nonprofit Formation FAQ

How long does it take to process Form DSCB:15-5306/7102?

If you file online it typically takes about 10 business days. If you file by mail expect to get a response in about 15 business days.

If you have filed by mail you can choose to pay an optional expedite fee of $100 for same-day service or $1,000 for 1hr service.

How do I contact the Department of State for more information?

You can call for information at (717) 787-1057 or visit them at their website.

Nonprofit Operating Procedures and Housekeeping

Publish Notice of Incorporation

Once the Articles of Incorporation are approved, you must publish your filing in two general circulation, county newspapers (one of which must be a legal newspaper).

Draft Bylaws And Conflict Of Interest Policy

There are two documents that will be central to the running of your nonprofit:

Bylaws: These are the rules that determine how your organization will be governed and run.

You can think about it as a constitution for your nonprofit. It makes the rules and priorities clear for everyone involved.

In your bylaws be sure to include:

  • How the nonprofit will be governed – the role of directors and officers
  • How meetings are held, voting procedures, electing officers or directors.
  • How records will be kept and managed
  • How disputes will be handled
  • How bylaws will be added amended in the future

NOTE: Keep in mind that the bylaws will supplement any rules set forth by the federal government or the state.

Ready to get started? Check out these bylaws templates which you can customize to suit the needs of your organization.

The Conflict of Interest Policy: These are the rules set to ensure that decisions being made for the nonprofit are based on what is best for the organization, and not being motivated by what is best for individuals.

Under Appendix A the IRS provides a sample Conflict of Interest Policy.

NOTE: You will want to have both these documents drafted before for your first organizational meeting

Conduct An Organizational Meeting

An organizational meeting is the first official meeting of your nonprofit! Some of the things that are discussed in a typical organizational meeting:

  • Taking attendance to show you have a quorum (minimum number needed)
  • Appointing temporary officers, chairmen, secretary, etc.
  • Adoption of the bylaws
  • Adoption of conflict of interest policy

Don’t forget to record “minutes” of the meeting and have it signed by all attending directors. Here are some corporate minutes templates to help you get the ball rolling.

NOTE: This meeting must occur before your organization can apply for 501(c)(3) federal tax exempt status.

Get An EIN

An EIN or Employment Identification Number (also called a Federal Tax Identification Number or Federal Employment Identification Number), is used to uniquely identify a business entity. You can think of the EIN as a social security number for your nonprofit.

The EIN is required for your organization whether or not it will have any employees.

The EIN will be used for things like:

  • Filing for 501(c)(3) status
  • Opening a bank account
  • Applying for tax-exempt status
  • Submitting tax returns

Once your nonprofit is formed, you can apply for an EIN for your nonprofit via Form SS-4.

NOTE: If you use a nonprofit formation service, EIN assistance might already be included in the package.

Get a Pennsylvania Tax Identification Number

As a nonprofit in Pennsylvania, you will also need to register for appropriate state-level tax IDs using PA-100. Mail this form to the address below:

Pennsylvania Department of Revenue
Bureau of Business Trust Fund Taxes
P.O. Box 280904
Harrisburg, PA 17128-0904

For more information, you can call the Department of Revenue at (717) 787-1064 or visit them at their website.

Open A Business Bank Account

You will typically need to take with you the following items to open a bank account for your nonprofit:

  1. The EIN for the nonprofit
  2. A copy of the nonprofit’s bylaws
  3. A copy of the Articles of Incorporation

If your nonprofit has several directors or officers, some banks may also ask for proof that you are authorized to open the account on behalf of the nonprofit.

There are many great options when it comes to picking a bank. Here are the reviews of the top 5 business bank accounts we recommend.

NOTE: It is always best to call ahead. Your bank may require some additional documents.

Start a Corporate Records Book (Optional)

As a nonprofit corporation, your organization will need to keep track of many important documents. This includes documents such as:

  • Articles of Incorporation
  • EIN
  • Tax forms
  • Nonprofit bylaws
  • Meeting minutes

We recommend starting a dedicated corporate records book early so that as you start receiving these critical legal documents, they can be kept organized from the very beginning.

While you can keep track of everything using supplies from any office store, it may be easier to use a pre-assembled kit that has the things you need in one place. Blumberg and Bindertek have some options specifically designed to meet the needs of nonprofit corporations.

How to Apply for Tax Exemptions

Your nonprofit organization must apply to the IRS to be exempt from federal taxes. Once you have successfully obtained your federal tax exemption, you will automatically be exempt from Pennsylvania state income tax.

Applying for Exemption from Federal Taxes - 501(c)(3) Status

Before your nonprofit can apply for 501(c)(3) status it must:

  1. File the Articles of Formation with the required provisions (As covered in Step 4, Sections 3 & 11)
  2. Adopt the bylaws and the conflict of interest policy
  3. Have an EIN number

In order to file for tax-exempt status, most organizations will need to file Form 1023 online or by mail (fee: $600).

There are two exceptions:

  1. If your organization’s annual gross receipts are below $50,000 then you may be able to file Form 1023-EZ (fee: $275). Check your eligibility here.
  2. If your organization is a religious institution or has annual gross receipts in each taxable year of no more than $5,000 you may be considered tax-exempt without filing Form 1023. Religious institutions and organizations with gross receipts under $5,000 can still choose to file Form 1023. This would give them a determination letter that specifies that contributions to the organization are tax-deductible.

Applying for Exemption from State Taxes

Once you have received your 501(c) determination letter from the IRS, you will automatically be exempt from state corporate income tax.

To file to obtain sales tax exemption fill out Form REV-72 Application for Sales Tax Exemption. You can fax this form to (717) 787-3708 or email it to

For more information, you can call the Department of Revenue at (717) 783-5473 or visit them at their office found at the address below:

Department of Revenue
Bureau of Business Trust Fund Taxes
Miscellaneous Tax Division
Dept. 280909
Harrisburg, PA 17128-0909

Nonprofit Tax FAQ

When should an organization apply for federal tax exemption?

Form 1023/1023-EZ must be filed within 27 months from the end of the first month your organization was created.

How long will it take for the IRS to process Form 1023/1023-EZ?

Soon after sending your application you should receive an acknowledgment of receipt of your application.

If your application is simple and complete, IRS will send your determination letter within:

  • 90 days for Form 1023-EZ
  • 180 days for Form 1023

If you have not heard from them by that time you can call 877-829-5500 to enquire about your application.

Protect Your Nonprofit

Get Business Insurance

As with any other business, there may be risks involved in running the nonprofit. Getting insurance for your nonprofit allows you to focus on your passion while minimizing your liability.

Here are some of the common types of insurance you may want to consider for your organization:

  • General Liability Coverage
  • Directors and Officers Coverage
  • Social Service Professional Coverage

Your coverage needs will vary based on your organization and the work you do.

Properly Sign Legal Documents

There will be times when you will be signing a document on behalf of your nonprofit. It is important that these times are easily distinguishable from when you are signing a document as an individual. If a document isn’t properly signed, you might suddenly find yourself personally responsible for something the organization should have been liable for.

To avoid such confusion we recommend you and all the members of your organization follow the following format:

  • The official name of your nonprofit
  • Your signature
  • Your full legal name
  • Your position in the organization

How To Keep Your Nonprofit Compliant

Get A Registered Agent

Nonprofits that have incorporated are required to maintain a registered agent with an office address in Pennsylvania. If the agent or the office address changes, you must file Form DSCB:15-1507/5507/8625/8825 with the Secretary of State to effect a change to the Articles of Incorporation.

NOTE: Failure to do so may result in termination of the corporation.

File Required Periodic Reports

Nonprofits in Pennsylvania only have to submit an annual report if there has been a change of your corporate officers. This report can easily be filed online or via mail.

NOTE: Nonprofits who have not submitted an annual report in a 10 year period, must submit a Decentennial Report.

Paper forms can be mailed to the address found below:

Department of State
Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations
P.O. Box 8722
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8722

For more information, you can call the Department of State at (717) 787-1057, fax them at (717) 783-2244, or visit them at their website.


If your nonprofit is a charity, and it will be soliciting contributions, you may be required to register with the Pennsylvania Department of State by using form BCO-10, unless your organization is eligible for exemption.

If your organization qualifies for an exemption, you can fill out form BCO-9 to request an exemption from registering.

To learn more about the requirements for charities who solicit contributions, access the Department of State’s guidance and The Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes Act.

Paper forms can be mailed to the address found below:

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of State
Bureau of Charitable Organizations
207 North Office Building
Harrisburg, PA 17120

For more information, you can call the Bureau of Charitable Organizations at (717) 783-1720, fax them at (717) 783-6014, or visit them at their website.

Public Inspection Rules for 501(c)(3) Organizations

Organizations that have been granted the 501(c)(3) status are required to disclose the following documents to the public when requested:

  • Annual returns for 3 years after the due date (this includes returns like Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, and any Forms 990-T)
  • All Form 990 Schedules (except portions of Schedule B), attachments and supporting documents.
  • Application of exemption and all supporting documents such as Form 1023
  • The official paperwork from the IRS that shows that your organization has tax-exempt status.

The following do NOT need to be shared with the public

  • Portions of Schedule B of Form 990/990-EZ that identify the contributors. ( You only need to disclose the amount contributed and the nature of the contributions)
  • Any unfavorable rulings such as an earlier denial of tax-exempt status.
  • Any information the IRS has said you can withhold. This may include things like sensitive patents and trade secrets.

Documentation FAQ:

How long do I have to produce these documents if requested?
Ideally within the same day. If your organization doesn’t have an office or maintains limited hours during parts of the year, the information should be made available within two weeks.

Do I need to provide copies of the documents?
If someone asks for copies in person or in writing you must provide them with copies.

Can I charge for copies?
You can charge a reasonable amount for making copies of the documents requested.

NOTE: It may be easiest to have the documents available on your website so that anyone who requests copies can be sent to the site. This allows you to stay compliant without having to spend a lot of time dealing with document requests.

Annual Returns for Tax-Exempt Organizations

Most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are required to file an annual return with the IRS (Click here for a list of exceptions).

Which form you should use to file the annual returns depend on the annual gross receipt amounts for your organization.

‘Gross receipt’ is defined by the IRS as “the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses”

  • For gross receipts < $50,000 --- File 990-N
  • Gross receipts <$200,000 and total assets <$500,000 --- File 990-EZ
  • Gross receipts > $200,000 or Total assets > $500,00 --- File 990

For any questions, you can call the IRS at

  1. (800) 829-3676 (Form-related questions)
  2. (800) 829-1040 (General information)

When is form 990 due?

You have a little over 4 months after your taxable year comes to an end to file Form 990. It is due on the 15th day of the 5th month. So if your taxable year ends on Dec 31st, your form 990 is due on May 15th.

NOTE: If your organization fails to file form 990 for 3 consecutive years, it will automatically lose its tax-exempt status.

Report Unrelated Business Income

If your organization has a gross income of >$1000 from a trade or business that is not related to the stated purpose of the organization, then it must file Form 990-T to pay tax on that income.

If you expect to pay $500 or more for the year in taxes on unrelated business income, your organization must pay a quarterly estimated tax on the unrelated business income using Form 990-W.

State of Pennsylvania Nonprofit Quicklinks