Step 1) Get A West Virginia DBA Registration Form

WebsiteOnce you’ve checked the West Virginia “Business Name Database” to ensure the brand name you want to file isn’t taken and available, get your hands on a registration form through the West Virginia Secretary of State. Download a free copy of the “Application for Trade Name (DBA)” PDF to get started.

Print out two copies, one to file and one to be stamped and returned to you for your records. Remember the filing fee is $25 so make sure the name’s available first!

Step 2) Properly Fill-Out The Form

Register an LLCKeep in mind this is a formal legal document that must be filled out properly then signed by an authorized officer (notarized). The form will ask basic details about your business including:

  • Complete legal name, address, and contact info.
  • Chosen trade name and the nature of your business.

Don’t get nervous and include personal identifiers like SS#’s, bank account info, credit/debit card digits (you can pay the fee online or through check), driver’s license numbers, etc.

Step 3) File Your DBA

Mail in the FormThe last step of the process is to file with the correct county or city that you’re conducting business in. To be prudent, you may want to touch base with the County Clerk of the location where you want to file to be sure you have everything.

Send your form to the Business Organization Division along with a $25 filing fee. For more resources, you can go to the Ordering and Payment section of the West Virginia Secretary of State.

Need Help Filing Your DBA?

Have a reliable DBA filing service handle the paperwork for you. Just answer a few questions about your business and they’ll take care of the rest.

Visit Swyft Filings Or Visit Rocket Lawyer

Note that this article on how to file a West Virginia DBA isn’t a legal document or legal advice. It’s for informational purposes and the information above is subject to change. For specific legal questions regarding how to file a West Virginia DBA or business in general, please consult with a lawyer or other accredited professional.