Step 1) Verify Your DBA Name
Filing for a DBA is a pretty painless process, but before you can get into it, you need to make sure that your desired name is available. You can run a quick business trade name search on the Delaware Courts website to see whether or not your name is available.
If you find that another entity already operates under your desired name, you’ll have to change it up so that your name is considered distinguishable. This may require:
- Changing the spelling of the name
- Rearranging the words in the name
- Making the name possessive
Once you’ve found a variation of the name that fits the bill, it’s time to file with the state.
Step 2) Download & Complete Registration Form
Now that you’ve settled on a name, you’re ready to fill out the DBA registration form. This form will ask for information like:
- Your county (New Castle, Kent or Sussex)
- Your desired trade name
- Your business address
- A phone number for your business
- Your full name and address (as well as the names and addresses of all business partners)
- The date of your business’ formation
You can file your Delaware DBA by downloading the DBA registration form and either filling it out online, or printing it and writing out responses in legible handwriting. After you’ve completed the necessary fields, you’ll just need to attach the $25.00 filing fee.
Step 3) Mail In Your Documents
The state of Delaware requires that you file and submit your DBA registration with the county Prothonotary's office rather than the state. So depending on the county that you’re doing business in (New Castle, Kent or Sussex), you’ll send the completed document and payment to one of the following addresses:
New Castle County Courthouse
500 North King Street,
Suite 500, LL1
Wilmington, DE 19801-3746
Kent County Courthouse
38 The Green
Dover, DE 19901
Sussex County Courthouse
1 The Circle, Suite 2
Georgetown, DE 19947
Need Help Filing Your DBA?
If you'd like help filing a Delaware DBA, feel free to read our reviews of the two most popular services.
- LegalZoom DBA Review: Pricing starts at $99 + state fee. Best if you're looking for the most popular DBA filing service available.
- CorpNet DBA Review: Pricing starts at $108 + state fee. Best if you're looking for great customer service.