Step 1) Do Research And Acquire Form
First head on over to the Rhode Island Secretary of State as well as the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office to ensure your name isn't already taken, too similar to another, and there are no trademark issues.
After the business name's been validated, obtain a copy of the Fictitious Business Name Statement through the Secretary of State website.
Step 2) Fill Out The Registration Form
The instructions are included that tell you step by step what needs to be done so you shouldn't have a problem. Aside from the exact dates of corporation and qualification, you'll need basic info like:
- Name of the business;
- Fictitious name to be used;
- The state where the business is formed;
- Address of the Registered Office in Rhode Island;
- Type of business.
Step 3) File The Fictitious Business Name Statement
Once you have the Fictitious Business Name Statement notarized you can send it on in through the mail. Make sure to a) get a copy for your records and b) confirm your filing through the instructions on the form.
Filing Fee: $50.00 "via cash, credit card, or check at the Business Services Division, or by mail to the Business Services Division via check made payable to the R.I. Department of State."
Need Help Filing Your DBA?
If you'd like help filing a DBA in Rhode Island, feel free to read our reviews of the two most popular services.
- LegalZoom DBA Review: Pricing starts at $99 + state fee. Best if you're looking for the most popular DBA filing service available.
- CorpNet DBA Review: Pricing starts at $108 + state fee. Best if you're looking for great customer service.