1) Secure Brand Name & Get Registration Form
The first thing you want to do is ensure the name you'd like to file isn't already taken, too similar to another company, or there are trademark issues if applicable. Use the Oregon Business Name Search tool as well as the TESS system within the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
Next step is to use the Oregon Business Registration Service to fill out and file the Online Assumed Business Name Registry.
Now would be the perfect time to make sure there’s a web domain available for your DBA.
2) Fill Out The Registration Form
Setting up an account with the state online isn't tough at all, and then once you get to the form you'll need basic information including:
- Assumed business name to be registered;
- Description of the business;
- Person authorized to represent the owners;
- Principal place of business;
- Mailing address of the person authorized to represent the owners;
- Name and address of owners; Counties where the assumed business name will be used;
- Signatures of owners.
3) Send The Assumed Business Name Form
Before sending out the assumed business name registration form, make sure to double check it for correctness. Then, have it notarized by an individual who is legally authorized to do so and take oaths.
If you need more help specifically on this process, make use of the "Assumed Business Name Registration" page through the Sec. of State. There are plenty of other resources as well, as the Small Business Administration's chapters in the state. Make good use of everything at your disposal to get set up correctly the first time around.
Here's where you can send the form. Remember to get a copy for your records:
Secretary of State
255 Capitol St. NE
Salem, OR 97310-1327
Need Help Filing Your DBA?
A professional service will handle filing your DBA on your behalf, allowing you to focus on the other needs of your new business.
- LegalZoom ($99 + state fee) for the most popular DBA filing service available.
- MyCompanyWorks ($99 + state fee) for a more personalized DBA filing service.