Step 1) Verify Brand Name & Get Form
First thing's first, head to the Missouri Online Business Filing System and conduct a Business Entity Search to see if your chosen brand name is already taken or too similar to another. There's also the TESS System for potential trademark issues.
Next, here's the official Registration of Fictitious Name form. It's designed so that you can fill it out online before you have it printed; one to be filed and then you're going to need a copy for your records.
Step 2) Properly Fill Out Form
If you don't have legal counsel and you aren't working with a professional DBA filing service, double and triple check all your answers. Make sure you understand everything as well. If not, reach out for assistance. Here's some of the basic info you'll need:
- Business name to be registered
- Complete business address
- Information about the business owner
- Owner affirmation/signature
Step 3) Send The Completed Missouri DBA Registration Form
The last step is to have the form notarized by an authorized individual so it's 100% official. The Missouri DBA (along with a $7 filing fee) can be filed in-person, through postal mail, or through the online application. For postal mail, it can be sent to this address:
Corporations Unit, James C. Kirkpatrick State Information Center, P.O. Box 778,
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Need Help Filing Your DBA?
If you'd like help filing a DBA in Missouri, feel free to read our reviews of the two most popular services.
- LegalZoom Review: Pricing starts at $99 + state fee. Best if you're looking for the most popular DBA filing service available.
- CorpNet Review: Pricing starts at $108 + state fee. Best if you're looking for great customer service.