CharityNet USA Nonprofit Review
Should You Use Their Service?
Last Updated: By TRUiC Team
Do you need to form a nonprofit, but you’re not familiar enough with the complex compliance requirements to go the DIY route? There are a handful of companies providing nonprofit formation services online, and it can be tough to know who’s the best.
To complement your own research, we invested countless hours into finding the best nonprofit formation services available. Our goal is to provide you with the info you need to make a smart decision for your company.
Recommended Nonprofit Formation Service:
Northwest Registered Agent ($29 + State Fees)
Northwest is reliable, offers great customer service, and includes a free year of registered agent services at a lower price.
CharityNet USA NonProfit Pros & Cons
Pros of CharityNet USA NonProfit
- The main thing we like about CharityNet USA is that they’re true nonprofit specialists. There are only a few companies in this industry that focus 100% on serving nonprofits ― most of their competitors offer a wide range of business services that include a few nonprofit services.
- They charge just $79 for their nonprofit formation package, which is a lower rate than most of their competitors charge for similar services.
- In addition to formation and 501(c)(3) prep, they have 30+ services available to nonprofits. Whether you have yet to open your doors, or you’ve been operating for years, they’re a one-stop shop for all your nonprofit management needs.
- CharityNet USA has served 25,000+ nonprofits since 2004, helping clients with everything from formation to grant writing.
- They don’t have a ton of customer feedback available online, but the reviews we did find for CharityNet USA were mostly very positive.
- They understand that many nonprofits operate on tight budgets, which is why they offer flexible payment plans to accommodate even the most cash-strapped of nonprofits.
Cons of CharityNet USA NonProfit
- Some of their pricing models seem incomplete. For example, there are no prices listed for 501(c)(3) applications on their website. Even though there is a webpage titled “501(c)(3) Price Comparison,” clicking the link only leads to a blank page bearing the words “Coming Soon…”
- You also can’t get estimates on turnaround times online with CharityNet USA, as this information is only available via phone or email.
CharityNet USA Nonprofit Pricing & Features
CharityNet USA has one flat rate for starting a nonprofit, as they charge $79 across the board. Some of their competitors offer multiple nonprofit formation packages with bundles of additional features, but CharityNet focuses on one simple offering. When it comes to your 501(c)(3) preparation and filing, their rates vary.
Keep in mind that if your new nonprofit is on a tight budget that they are willing and able to work out a payment plan with you. Take a look at some fast facts on CharityNet before we dive into the specifics:
First and foremost, their service focuses on incorporating your nonprofit. CharityNet USA guarantees approval of your formation documents, and in some cases they can get approval from your state of formation in less than 30 days. Their full-service document preparation and filing service gives you the peace of mind that every step is completed quickly and correctly.
Furthermore, if you need to apply for tax-exempt status, CharityNet USA will prepare your 501(c)(3) application documents, which includes the preparation of some rather complex tax forms with extensive compliance requirements.
One of their biggest selling points is their long-term relationships with nonprofits, and the way they have services to assist you with any issues that might come your way. CharityNet USA can help your nonprofit with fundraising, marketing, grant proposals, and so much more.
In fact, let’s take a quick look at some of the specific ways they can help start and develop your organization.
- Bookkeeping and accounting services: $49 per month
- Capacity building (developing organizational resources): Variable pricing, call for details
- Grant writing: Variable pricing, call for details
- Corporate sponsorship packages: Variable pricing, call for details
- Form 990 (nonprofit performance review) tax preparation: $69
- Marketing and advertising services: Free review, variable pricing
- Custom web design: Variable pricing, call for details
- Strategic planning package (organizational analysis, strategy development assistance, regulatory research): Variable pricing, call for details
- Unlimited graphic design services on retainer: $50 per day on a monthly contract
- Comprehensive fundraising solutions: Variable pricing, call for details
It’s a lot of options and could be overwhelming, but keep in mind that you can give them a call at any time and they’ll help you figure out what you need for your organization.
CharityNet USA Customer Reviews
Despite the fact that they have over 25,000 clients, there are only about 50 online customer reviews for CharityNet USA. Still, the vast majority of these reviews are positive in nature, with clients praising CharityNet USA’s great support team and the overall efficiency of their services.
Customer Reviews Last Updated 9-20-18
- Facebook: 4.5 out of 5 stars (27 reviews)
- BBB: 4.6 out of 5 stars (20 reviews)
- Google: 4.2 out of 5 stars (6 reviews)
Conclusion: While there isn’t a ton of feedback in general, it’s definitely a good sign that there are so few critical reviews. All told, we’re viewing customer reviews as a positive for CharityNet USA.
How CharityNet USA Compares
CharityNet USA is a strong choice for nonprofit formation thanks to their extensive suite of nonprofit solutions and their flexible payment plans. Still, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye on the competition, so let’s see how they stack up to our favorite service, Incfile.
Pricing: While CharityNet USA’s rate of $79 for nonprofit formation service is one of the best price points in the industry, Incfile’s price of $49 is even more impressive.
Features: CharityNet’s nonprofit incorporation is a simple but effective service package that includes all the vital components you’ll need to form your organization. For their part, Incfile adds a full year of registered agent service with any nonprofit formation service ― although they don’t offer 501(c)(3) applications or other advanced add-on features like CharityNet USA does.
Customer Support: Both CharityNet USA and Incfile have excellent customer service reputations. They both have support staffs full of knowledgeable and professional service representatives, and they’re both well above-average compared to the support you’ll get from most of their competitors.
Experience: CharityNet USA has served over 25,000 nonprofit customers since 2004. Incfile also opened in 2004, and they have 150,000+ clients since then ― however, only a small percentage of those customers are nonprofit clients.
HERE'S A QUICK VISUAL
Pricing Starts at $79
In Business Since 2004
Perfect for: Anyone wanting an affordable option & one-stop shop for starting a nonprofit organization
Pricing Starts at $49
In Business Since 2004
Perfect for: Anyone wanting to work with an A+ rated company & enjoy a number of free additional services
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Form a Nonprofit Independently?
Sure, you can, but that doesn’t mean everyone should. Nonprofits are the most complex business type in America due to the many levels of compliance requirements, and it isn’t something you want to take the DIY route for unless you’re already knowledgeable regarding the legalities. This is especially true if you need 501(c)(3) status.
What’s Their Refund Policy?
With a 100% satisfaction guarantee, CharityNet USA will refund your service fees if you aren’t happy with your nonprofit formation. In addition, they also guarantee that your filing will be accepted by your state of formation.
How Secure Is CharityNet USA?
Their website is secured by GoDaddy Verify Security, and all data transfers take place through secure, encrypted channels. Additionally, only a select few CharityNet USA employees will ever see your personal info.
Do They Offer Ongoing Support?
They certainly do. In fact, their long-term relationships with nonprofits are a major selling point for CharityNet USA. It doesn’t matter if you formed your nonprofit last week or last year, they’re ready and willing to help.